A Call for a Metallurgist and/or Oil Analyst

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all:
I recently sent out oil samples from my engine and transmission.

The engine oil came back showing a slightly high level of lead (67 PPM). What in the Viper engine contains lead or a lead coating?

The transmission came back showing elevated levels of silicon (55 PPM). What in the transmission would cause a high silicon level?

I was running Synthetic 10W30 in the engine and Syntorq 75W85 in the transmission. Other than the two stated issues, all other wear metals were in a "normal" range.

I can provide the .pdf files if needed. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lead in the oil usually is a sign of using leaded gasoline. Use any race or avgas lately?

Silicone is a generic way of saying "dust" from the air. In engine oil it means the air filter needs checking. In a transmission or differential the breather system doesn't often have a filter; maybe just a sponge in front of the breather tube?

Did you know that there is an official "test dust" used for oil filter efficiency testing? It comes from a desert out west. It is actually calibrated for size and distribution. And where are you located? ;)

If this is end-of-drain analysis, neither is particularly high. What were the levels last time?

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all:
I recently sent out oil samples from my engine and transmission.

The transmission came back showing elevated levels of silicon (55 PPM). What in the transmission would cause a high silicon level?

Silicon in the tranny or differential is not necessarily dust or dirt. It could be silicon sealer, in which case....not a big deal. Have them do a filter patch test on the sample if they still have it. This happened to me once.

Steve

OP
OP
S

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lead in the oil usually is a sign of using leaded gasoline. Use any race or avgas lately?

Silicone is a generic way of saying "dust" from the air. In engine oil it means the air filter needs checking. In a transmission or differential the breather system doesn't often have a filter; maybe just a sponge in front of the breather tube?

Did you know that there is an official "test dust" used for oil filter efficiency testing? It comes from a desert out west. It is actually calibrated for size and distribution. And where are you located? ;)

If this is end-of-drain analysis, neither is particularly high. What were the levels last time?

No leaded gas or avgas ever that I know of. I always fill up with 91 Octane unleaded.

I looked back at the test sheet and it specifically states: "Silicon Most Likely From Source Other Than Dirt" Do these transmissions have a breather sponge on them? :dunno:

"Test Dust"? That's funny. We don't have any of that around here...

This was the first test, so I will have to wait for my next oil change to get another decent sample.

Silicon in the tranny or differential is not necessarily dust or dirt. It could be silicon sealer, in which case....not a big deal. Have them do a filter patch test on the sample if they still have it. This happened to me once.

Steve

Thanks for the tip but I believe they already tossed the sample. I believe this transmission was rebuilt once and I believe this is the first fluid change since the rebuild. I don't doubt that it could be some kind of sealer.

Thank you both for your responses!