AEM Results on Heffner Performance Viper TT

Viper TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We were finally able to obtain an AEM for my Viper! Special thanks to Dan Cragin for overnighting the AEM for Saturday delivery! :2tu:

After about an hour, I had the unit installed and the car up and running smooth on 75lb injectors. (Extensive previous AEM experience)

Yesterday, strapped the car down on the dyno and the results speak clearly. This is on a bone stock engine (not even rocker arms) with Jason Heffner's Twin Turbo setup. We tried more boost, but ran into a ignition problem that will be resolved later this week.

A great big THANKS to Jason Heffner for building a bad ass Twin Turbo setup!!! :2tu: :headbang:

Now, if I can this thing hooked up, you blower guys are going to cry!!! :laugh:

FYI, the [email protected] was accomplished with ~120rwhp less! ;)

Sal

You must be registered for see images

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome!!! I almost can't comprehend another 120 HP on your beast! Looks like we need to get to the track and end this S/C versus Turbo debate once and for all! hahaha!! Actually, after riding in your car (pre-AEM) I think I know the answer.

Have fun and keep it out of the sand!!

OP
OP
V

Viper TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Gary! You're on!! LOL! We need to rent MIR and go at it, like we discussed earlier.

We definitely missed you yesterday!

Sand, eh? You had to go there, didn't you??? :D

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is SICK....on a bone stock engine...Im speechless.....some guys are making this power on built engines and blower....and....you're....not....done....yet :crazy: :eek:

ChoiceViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Awesome numbers!!!!
How long can the stock bottom end last with that kind of HP/Torque? I thought around 650 rwhp was the max for a reliable boosted motor with the stock rods/pistons.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome numbers!!!!
How long can the stock bottom end last with that kind of HP/Torque? I thought around 650 rwhp was the max for a reliable boosted motor with the stock rods/pistons.

650 rwhp Max?? :eek:

Oops! :p

I am not sure if that applies to 96-99 cars! At least I hope not! :usa:

Woody

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought the 99-02 had cast pistons? Have you replaced the pistons with forged?

Bandit400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn, I going to need one of these. I don't know if the wife will go for it. Lets see a couch for the family room or computer for the car. Hmmm, not sure what will win out :smirk:

Awesome results!! :headbang: I would love to see what it will do at the track now.

Bandit400

Yellow Fever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn, I going to need one of these. I don't know if the wife will go for it. Lets see a couch for the family room or computer for the car. Hmmm, not sure what will win out :smirk:

Scott just tell her that you need a New Computer..You don't have to mention that it's for the car :D

OP
OP
V

Viper TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

superbar - Because this was the prototype for Heffner, we've got way too many dyno pulls from testing various items to narrow down an accurate pre AEM. The last time this car was dynoed was in January. The best numbers achieved were 785rwhp/890rwtq, but this was cooled down. The 877rwhp AEM pull was very heat soaked. I was making pulls 5-7 minutes apart. In comparison, the AEM allows the flexibility needed to install properly sized injectors and tune the fuel/ignition as needed without restriction or hindrance from the factory PCM. In addition the data logging capabilites are unstoppable with the onboard data logger capable of logging 7 channels at 250 samples/sec and 8 channels at 31.25 samples/sec simultaneously.

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just curious, but you mentioned you had extensive AEM experience. Would you say it is worth the money to have somebody like Sean or another person with tons of AEM experience fly out to tune up a car with the AEM, or let your local viper shop get a unit in and experiment/learn to set it up right?

ChicagoGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
***! That's not fair! :eek:

Geez, next I bet we'll hear it's gonna become a DIY kit. :eek:

Then I'll really be pissed! :mad:

All jokes aside, that is simply awesome. Now lets see how long you can beat on it until the stock internals give. There lies the true test.

Nice Job! :D :usa:

OP
OP
V

Viper TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
superbar: I would recommend you have Justin Nenni or Sean McElderry tune your Viper at this point in time. I personally am aware Justin Nenni (http://www.tuningconcepts.com) has tuned a handful of Vipers in the Texas area using the AEM (i.e., SW's cars) and flies around the country as a tuner. In a few months, I'm sure there will be many more experienced AEM tuners specific to the Viper, but since you are looking to fly a tuner in, those two names come to mind.

ChicagoGTS: Believe me when I say my motor has been put to the test prior to the AEM. :) I'm impressed how well the stock motor has held up.

OP
OP
V

Viper TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have the logs here, but if memory serves correctly it was around 85%.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sal really knows the AEM and it was a pleasure watching him tune it. It is a great system and much easier to use than the MOTEC - but definitely not for amatuers as it will do whatever you tell it to and that is dangerous for young players.

Heffners Performance looks forward to learning more on the AEM and I know Jason is keen to do the training course - so we will be able to do AEM tuning in house. We've seen enough now to know it will be worth the investment in time to do it.

BTW - after that pull in the above chart the power curve got even fatter - the power came in even harder before the ignition gave up. The stock engine saw 1043ft/lb at around 4200rpm if I recall - now THAT is a testament to how strong a forged piston 99 Viper engine really is. If that pull had been able to carry on to 6000rpm and made a clean run the power would have been unreal!!!

How long would a stock engine last up there?

Not long probably - but it proves a point - these engines are built pretty well by Dodge. They don't blow gaskets, they do not leak oil, and there was no blow by into the catch can even at boost pressures way beyond what could be streetable.

Also - it was gratifying for us to note that the Heffner Performance turbo system actually GAINED efficiency as boost went up. At street boost levels it was making around 29hp per lb of boost, but from 12lb up it was making 30hp per lb of boost at the flywheel despite loss of significant top end as the ignition broke down! We are happy with that on a stock engine, and know it will go up even higher!

Hey Sal - just saw a sample of the new trick leads - they look great. Those babies should fire all that gas! Look forward to seeing you again. :2tu:

It is not everyday you see a guy try to find the limits of their expensive tuned car just to see if the engine can take it. Sals wide grin as he took it up each step was priceless.

I want you to know Sal that those stock rings and stamped rockers were telling you something...

they were saying.... "I hate you I hate you I hate you!!!" :D :D hahaha

Don't worry guys - we would not let just any customer do that. Sal knew exactly what he was doing and the tune was always kept very conservative and the mixture rich. That evening session was better than prime time TV.

TM

ronviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper TT keep an eye on the Aeromotive fuel pump i put one on and it chonked out in a short period of time. I now run 2 walbro 255, they out flow the Aeromotive and are quiet so if one quit i am not down. Your power level is awesome for a stock motor, you must have people scratching their head in disbelief. Heffner is really raising the bar, the Turbo market is growing by heaps and bounce. Enjoy the boost.

Yellow Fever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I spoke to Dan C this morning- He made me an offer I can't refuse so I'll be dropping my car off next month to get the AEM unit installed and tuned.

Sal, I'll be happy if I get half the gains you received as a result of the AEM unit :2tu:

OP
OP
V

Viper TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks TM. I was definitely enjoying myself! :smirk: Just a side note, Jason Heffner and I were both putting our minds together while tuning. Just goes to show what caliber of shop Heffner Performance really is. Jason was the little devil on my shoulder!!! :D

ronviper: Thanks for the heads up. I've heard of the issues with the Aeromotive pumps. I know 2 Walbros are a great setup, that is what I run on my Supra. But I think the Viper would need 3 Walbros! ;)

Yellow Fever: You'll see the gains, don't worry. You've got the right combination under the hood with Heffner's "Put me in a Ditch" setup! :laugh:

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I spoke to Dan C this morning- He made me an offer I can't refuse so I'll be dropping my car off next month to get the AEM unit installed and tuned.

Sal, I'll be happy if I get half the gains you received as a result of the AEM unit :2tu:
That is who came to mind when Manny posted. I think Dan got the whole AEM ball rolling.

Bandit400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff,

I cant wait to see what gains you get on yours. It will give me a good idea what to expect if I go this route. Only worry is emissions since they can no longer read the computer from the OBDII port.

Bandit400

Jason Heffner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was very happy to obtain the results that he have after the first session with the AEM system for the Viper. The fact that a stock engine is able to make that kind of power is nothing short of amazing.I do however want to clear up what I feel is a slight misconception. While the AEM is definitely a very impressive engine management system it is not solely responsible for the horsepower gains on Sal's car. The fact of the matter is that a properly tuned car is a properly tuned car. If you run the same car on the dyno with a VEC2, Split second box or an AEM using the same air /fuel ratio and timing curve you will get the same results. What I'm saying is the AEM is not for every car. The AEM is a true standalone system, it does exactly what you tell it to do, nothing more, nothing less. In an application such as Yellow Fever's car which is limited by the octane that is available in California I would expect to see little to no gain with the AEM. I strongly urge anyone considering the AEM to consult with an experienced, professional tuner, otherwise there is likely to be a lot of blown up engines. The benefit on Sal's car was the ability to control the 75 lb injectors which allows us to run more boost than before. For the average street car some of the existing emissions legal piggyback systems will suffice. We'll keep you updated on the tuning progress as we continue to raise the power levels on this particular car.

I would like to say thanks to Sal for donating his car to be the guinea pig for our GTS twin turbo system. I can say with great confidence that it has been mutually beneficial for both of us.