Updating my twin turbo Gen 3, have some questions

proedge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a 2005 twin turbo Viper which was built by Racing Solutions, looks like maybe back in around 2008-2010. I've reached out to RSI to try get some information about the car, but they don't seem to know much about it. I had some issues with the car not wanting to build more than 5 psi of boost, and turbos were leaking oil, so I took everything apart and am now trying to update some of the components.
I've rebuilt the GT35R turbos with new seals, hopefully that will solve the oil leak problems.

The car was tuned with the old style Paxton Fuel Controller and a Split Second piggy back. It looks like extra fuel pumps were added, in order to provide extra fueling. I did some reading of some older posts, and people were removing all that and installing extra fuel pumps into the tank and using SCT tuning.
I was going to go with AEM Infinity stand alone, but Holly bought out AEM and they stopped making the Infinity. I was left with either going the Motec route or trying to find something else. RSI sold me a Series 2 unit, alone with a wiring harness for a decent price, so I just got that. I only recently came across the system offered by John Reed Racing, they offer a Motec system for around $5,000. I'm not sure if that includes what I would need to control a twin turbo car, but anyway I'm going to try and use the Series 2 unit I got from RSI.

I reached out to them to find out what I should do about the fueling, they recommended their stage 2 fuel system which comes with RSI Twin Pump Fuel Hanger, RSI Twin Pump Hanger Harness, Two Walbro 267 Fuel Pumps, RSI Fuel Rails & Brackets, Fuel Pressure Regulator & Bracket, lines, Fuel Filter, Bosch 1000cc Injectors. Is this the route I should be going? The system is a little pricey at $2400, but I'm not sure if there's another more cost effective option.

My other question is about the standalone install. Where do people typically mount their stand alone ECU's? It looks to me like the wiring harness is long enough to go through the hole in the firewall on the driver side. There is currently wiring and a vacuum line going in there on my car for the Greddy Boost controller, which I'll be removing obviously. Should I be mounting the box inside the car somewhere? I'm assuming it's not water proof and should go inside. I was thinking about putting it where the current Split Second box is and the extra fuel pumps, which I'll be removing.

RSI also sent me a few extra sensors that the harness does not seem to have plugs for. Do those sensors get wired into the factory harness? They sent me
AEM MAP 3.5 BAR
AEM Fluid pressure sensor
Mopar Knock Sensor
AEM IAT
These are the instructions I got from RSI
  1. The IAT on the harness may have used the OEM sensor.
  2. The fluid sensor is for the oil pressure, it may have also used the OEM sensor check for that plug
  3. There was a MAP sensor wired into that harness as the vehicle that it came off of was a turbo car and did have a 3.5bar sensor
Also, does the Series 2 need a Fuel Pressure sensor?

Here are some photos of the current setup. If you guys have any other ideas about what I should do, please let me know
Thanks

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    172.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3476.JPEG
    IMG_3476.JPEG
    134.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3477.JPEG
    IMG_3477.JPEG
    118.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3478.JPEG
    IMG_3478.JPEG
    124.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3482.JPEG
    IMG_3482.JPEG
    128.1 KB · Views: 34

woodrow pamela

Suspended
Reaction score
i don't have much working knowledge of turbos for viper V-10 , but maybe .. i might contact turbotronic's or dyno tuning shop (these guys that laptop tune) complete working engines ! have an incredible knowledge of working parts and parts working together .. very cool project "good luck"

LaViper

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I also owned an RSI Twin Turbo Car. 2006, Blue/White. The car ran extremely well loved the car but sold it because it was getting too expensive to drive. RSI was good to deal with back then but expensive.
Good luck with the project.

brewersprts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an RSI car as well. Runs great.

I have not been able to get much information out of them either.

OP
OP
P

proedge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you please do me a favor and take some photos of the engine bay? I want to see how they laid everything out and where they put the various sensors.

brewersprts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you please do me a favor and take some photos of the engine bay? I want to see how they laid everything out and where they put the various sensors.

What specifically do you want to see?

I apologize for the dirty engine bay and especially my intake.

Attachments

• 4CA42AC5-CF0F-48D4-8779-31159E54E360.jpeg
    4CA42AC5-CF0F-48D4-8779-31159E54E360.jpeg
    164.6 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
P

proedge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd like to see your catch can placement, how they ran the harness and where they put the ignition coils. Is your car tuned with AEM?

OP
OP
P

proedge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some updates... getting there slowly but surely. Still have some confusion about the knock sensors. The wiring harness I got has a knock sensor wired directly into it. I'm assuming it was originally made for a 2003/2004 car, which didn't have factory knock sensors. I reached out to RSI, they told me to remove one of the factory knock sensors and use the one that came with the AEM wiring in it's place. I'm hoping that will work. I was contemplating leaving the factory knock sensors in place and drilling a third hole somewhere and installing the AEM knock sensor there. Any thoughts on this?

OP
OP
P

proedge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New injector pigtails installed. Tried to make them look as factory as possible.

You must be registered for see images attach

RSI power steering pressure lines installed

working on installing the RSI oil cooler lines

Wiring harness installed

OP
OP
P

proedge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Turbos back in

Working on intake and fuel rails. Excuse the messy bench

brewersprts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd like to see your catch can placement, how they ran the harness and where they put the ignition coils. Is your car tuned with AEM?
Here is my catch can

My plug wires run under the intake and toward the back. I can’t see the coils.

I have no idea how my car is tuned

Attachments

• E411270E-C6EE-4B84-B345-33C8E6935966.jpeg
    E411270E-C6EE-4B84-B345-33C8E6935966.jpeg
    172.1 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
P

proedge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I got tired of waiting for the new bracket from RSI and decided to cut up the one they sent me. I made it about 1.5" shorter and notched the base for the return fuel line to fit. Was finally able to hook everything up and put the intake back on. Tested the fuel system, pumps prime like they should, no leaks anywhere. Only issue I have is that I don't know what my fuel pressure is at. The fuel lines don't have a provision for a 1/8" NPT fuel pressure gauge. So, I'm taking off the end cap from the passenger side fuel rail and replacing with it a -8 ORB to 1/8" NPT adapter. I can then put in either an analog gauge or a pressure gauge for the AEM. I was originally going to put a gauge on the FPR, but there's simply no room and I wouldn't be able to see the gauge anyway.

Anyway, tried to fire up the car, no luck. Pulled one of the spark plugs, checked for spark, not getting any spark. It seems that the AEM might be programmed incorrectly and not telling the coils to fire, or there's another issue. The file I have on there was from RSI, I asked them to put a decent tune on there so I could start the car and drive it over to the shop for dyno tuning.

Anyway some photos.

woodrow pamela

Suspended
Reaction score
hey guys - how does the RSI twin turbo system compare with the paxton supercharger , in horsepower , quick performance , and engine compartment heat ?

OP
OP
P

proedge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I ended up switching my car over to Link. The local tuner could not get the AEM running either, and I didn't feel like spending $2-3k on diagnosis and ending up in the same place I was.
We went with the Link Storm X ECU. We were able to reuse all the same sensors, simply had to change over the connectors on the piggyback harness.
The tuner got the car running after about 20 mins of playing with the settings.

Got it on the dyno, car made 690whp on wastegates, running 94 octane. I told him to put a couple of pounds of boost into it, but stop at 750whp. Car made exactly 750whp at about 7.5psi.
Since I'm assuming the internals are stock in my engine, I did not want to push my luck. He did tell me that the "1000cc" injectors I got from RSI are almost maxxed out, as they are currently at 80% duty cycle. He thinks they are only 550cc, not 1000 as promised. I spoke to RSI, they are going to send another set of injectors out. My initial plan was to have large enough injectors in the car to be able to run E85. I would also need to add a flex fuel sensor from Link. I'm now not sure if it's worth doing, as the current motor is essentially maxxed out on pump gas. I guess it would probably make 750whp on fewer psi and run a bit cooler, which would help with longevity. What are your thoughts? Is it worth adding E85?

My next question is how do I get more power out of it. I saw Roe Racing sells a forged bottom end kit with stock size rods and pistons for about $3700. They claim it's good for 1000whp, which is I think as high as I would want to go with this car. Would this be the most cost effective option? I've read other cars go with custom cranks, cams, new heads, etc. but those engines cost a fortune to build.

So, if I got the forged bottom end kit from Roe, switched it to E85, it should make a fairly reliable 1,000whp and not cost too much to build. What are your guys' thoughts?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acmeinfolabs