Alarm, locked out!?

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well it appears my '97 GTS has got upset about not having an exhaust (while awaiting alterations to it, required to fit it). Today he locked me out! I set the system as usual with the button on the key fob; and he chirped his horn, then I noted that there was no second chirp, and the dash led was not flashing. The doors are locked, but neither the lock or unlock button when pressed does anything, and no horn chirps. Battery is good on the Viper, and in the key fob. The little red led on the key fob is lighting on pressing the button. Tried to re-sync fob and alarm by depressing both buttons at the same time for 10 sec, but with no effect. Please can anyone help? (damsel in distress...)

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try disconnecting the battery for 5 to 10 minutes. Reconnect and see if the car will respond to the fob then.

Charlie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nadine
I'm not sure what you do about warranty work across the pond but there is a service bulletin on the 96/97 cars. DC replaced my alarm module for free and the bonus was two more remotes (that are smaller). The tech can program all four remotes to the car when the module is replaced..
Good luck

Reaction score
Nadine, if you are still locked out, enter the car via the rear hatch and pull the emergency door release located on the door behind the window glass. Once opened, turn on your ignition key and roll down your drivers window (this is incase you need to gain access again). Now try to start the car. If the car starts, shut it off. Remove the key and try using your key fob again.If the car locks & the security light blinks on the dash, the car should now unlock. This procedure has reset my system and corrected what appeared to be a glitch in the security system program. If nothing els, at least you have access to the inside of your car. The causes for the fob to go out of sink are many. Of course the car battery charge and connections should be OK when you do this. It probably wouldn't hurt to put a new battery in the fob if you are not sure of it's relative condition. Hope this helps. (JD)

OP
OP
N

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi JD, it's 2.30 am at night right now!

I could hug you all...thanks for your replies.

I have been gaining access through rear hatch, and emergency door release, but if I shut the door from inside, it wont open off the internal door release, only the emergency door release. I've tried two new batteries in the key fob. Tried disconnecting the Viper battery, then reconnect, and attempted to re-sync fob and alarm, but no luck (by 5 sec depress both fob buttons). Checked the dash fuse for remote entry system, and OK. I could here the power click to the module (up in foot well) when I slotted the fuse back. Are there any other fuses? Is the remote entry box of tricks the alarm center also, or is that part housed else where? Service manual states security system can't set trouble codes, (and I checked and there aren't any)! My warranty's out, I didn't have the option to extend warranty! Haven't tried to start the engine, (because I didn't expect it to!) but, I'll try that. Infact, I'll do anything!!

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
There has been a problem with some of the early GTS (96-97) alarm modules "locking up". The warranty fix has been to replace the unit and give you new FOBs. Hope this is not your case, but if it is:

The replacement Alarm unit will act like a 1998 alarm, ie. there is no second chirp when arming it and when you disarm it there is no chirp at all, only 2 flashes of the parking lights.

The Fobs are smaller but you can still use your old ones with the new module IF, that's ONLY IF, you program all 4 fobs at the same programming session. (the alarm unit will hold up to 4 fob codes)

A DRB is required to install and initially program the fobs.

When we put one in a friends car there was an extensive menu of alarm options that appeared like you could control stuff like "beeps, light flashing, etc." but we didn't experiment with it.

OP
OP
N

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Marv, it does appear as if my alarm's "locked up"; oh dear. Any idea how much a new alarm module may cost me? (I got in quite a bit of overtime at work over the Christmas and New Year period, it was to buy beloved new tires!) Only lucky I suppose that this alarm 'failure' has happened at home, and not out somewhere.

I did have the horn chirp turned off on my alarm through the DRB, as it was embarrassing when people turned around to see who was beeping their horn (I get bothered by attracting too much attention with the Viper as it is!) But, then I missed him talking to me...had alarm chirp turned back on, I love that cheeky little second chirp, as you turn to walk away after locking up...(well, used to!)

OP
OP
N

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Amit, see Marv's post re '98 onwards alarms, (3rd post prior to this one in this topic) they only chirp the once. Has to be through a DRB scan tool (on the options) at a dealer to turn chirp on / off.

OP
OP
N

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ALARM GREMLINS HAVE GONE AWAY!

Tried to fire him up, but then immobilizer cut in. Disconnected battery ready to weld exhaust (to fit), then later needed to reconnect battery. When I did alarm started flashing led fast, it was like a heart-beat! Horn chirped once as I tried another re sync alarm / fob, then chirped three times, and is working again; I can open doors from the key fob now. Electronics sure are weird things, coz I did a battery disconnect the other day to no avail! Just glad those gremlins have gone, thanks to everyone for all your help. (damsel un-distressed!)
You must be registered for see images

Robert Dyck

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nadine UK GTS:
ALARM GREMLINS HAVE GONE AWAY!

Tried to fire him up, but then immobilizer cut in. Disconnected battery ready to weld exhaust (to fit), then later needed to reconnect battery. When I did alarm started flashing led fast, it was like a heart-beat! Horn chirped once as I tried another re sync alarm / fob, then chirped three times, and is working again; I can open doors from the key fob now. Electronics sure are weird things, coz I did a battery disconnect the other day to no avail! Just glad those gremlins have gone, thanks to everyone for all your help. (damsel un-distressed!)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

===============================

Nadine... my 97 GTS is doing something very similar. I'll try what you did.... then if nothing, just take it to the dealer ... purchased the 7/75 warranty a few months ago.

BTW, where did you sleep when you were locked out?

OP
OP
N

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good luck Robert, sorry to hear something similar has happened to you, hope it's back to full health ASAP; I know how much it hurts. (Let us know how you get on.)

ps I was there right besides him...(I had to give up sleeping in him as my back couldn't take it) but, I now have a bed along side him and keep a low level light glowing, so I can drool at him as I go to sleep, and when I wake up. You should try starring at a Viper from lying down at bed height with low level lighting, looks really awesome, I find it difficult to close my eyes and go to sleep!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog