All things being equal how much more is a 99 worth than a 97 or 98?

Nuck

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am looking for a red GTS with reasonable mileage on it. There are more 97s for sale than 98s or 99s it seems. I do want the forged internals. I don't care which cam the car has so other than 18" wheels on a 99 what am I getting? If you had to go out and buy one tomorrow and you had three clean cars in front of you, a 97,98, and 99, with identical mileage would you pop for the ext $ for the 99? What if the 97 had 18" wheels as well?
Finally, is there any reason at all to pay extra for a 1998 over a 1997?
Thanks!

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes 98 has a few more features. Biggest being the passenger side airbag defeat, wrinkled dash finish=easier cleaning. I would imagine the prices for 97 and 98's are close to the same for red colors.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
'98 also has the Tubular stainless headers (24 lbs. lighter, unclaimed + 4hp).

opnwide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whoop-de-doo-da. 4hp and defeatable air bags. I put the tubular heads on mine for $100, and actually unplugged both my airbags for racing.
No $$ difference. Just choose one based on emotional reasons, like your kid's birth year or something.

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 99 GTS that I bought new and if I was looking at a used 97, 98, or 99. I would consider condition, mileage, price, and location before the specific model year.

Jim

OP
OP
N

Nuck

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 99 GTS that I bought new and if I was looking at a used 97, 98, or 99. I would consider condition, mileage, price, and location before the specific model year.

Jim
I think I am with you Jim, although a 1997 would be past any Chryco extended warranty where a 99 might not be. More options though if one can concentrate solely on condition, and the location of the unit.
There are actually some well priced 99s as well but the mileage is a bit higher than a 97 or 98 for the same money.

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would consider condition, care and mileage first. All things being equal I would pick the newer car and did actually. In fact I didn't like my color at first but once I saw it I absolutely fell in love with it. Air bags may not be a big deal to SOME, but they are rather comforting for normal driving. Clincher is the wheels, but if a 98 or 97 has the same ones then I revert to my first sentence.

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Air bags may not be a big deal to SOME, but they are rather comforting for normal driving.

All Gen 2's had dual airbags but only 98+ had the passenger side shut off. This is only important for backward facing child seats. Other than that the cars are so similar the condition has much more to do with which to buy. With that said, every year newer you go the car should cost ~2k more.

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
99 is worth at least double a 97/98 ..........All kidding aside just find the one that meets your wants and tastes better as long as its a Viper. :cool:

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Air bags may not be a big deal to SOME, but they are rather comforting for normal driving.

All Gen 2's had dual airbags but only 98+ had the passenger side shut off. This is only important for backward facing child seats. Other than that the cars are so similar the condition has much more to do with which to buy. With that said, every year newer you go the car should cost ~2k more.

I agree about color and condition being the most important. I wanted a Blue/White car so I was limited to '96/'97. As a bonus, my '97 was upgraded to the '98 pebble finish dash and airbag with shut off along with the tubular exhaust manifolds. Now I have the best of '96/'97/'98. With a wheel upgrade, I'll cover '99.

Pick the cleanest car you can find in your preffered color.

pattymelt3605

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree about color and condition being the most important. I wanted a Blue/White car so I was limited to '96/'97. As a bonus, my '97 was upgraded to the '98 pebble finish dash and airbag with shut off along with the tubular exhaust manifolds. Now I have the best of '96/'97/'98. With a wheel upgrade, I'll cover '99.

Pick the cleanest car you can find in your preffered color.

Don't forget the interior door handles of the 99+, and the nice e-brake and shift knob.