And then the smoke started pouring out under the dash !!!!

mz94viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Got my 4000 mile 94 RT out for its spring drive and not 5 miles into the cruise my buddy and I are smoked out of the car. Shut everything down and pop the hood to see black rubber smoke billowing out from around the motor. Remaining reasonably calm, I conclude my serp belt is the culprit and try and deduce a way to get it home. Not wanting to drive without power steering, I take the cautious route, and call for a roll back instead of cutting the belt. Once home, I find the belt is locked up and I cut it to find which pulley/pump is binding me up. Wala, they all turn freely and I cant see any obvious reason why the belt would get so hot. When removing the belt, I had to literally peal it off of the water pump smooth pulley. So now I am trying to find out why the belt would freeze/heat up. Any ideas ? When rotating the water pump, I heard a slight rattling sound and I decided to take it off. But low and behold, I cant get it off without removing the steel support bar directly in front of it. Is there some trick that I am missing to get the pump off without removing the bar ? Water pump turns freely so I dont think thats it, but something inside isnt right, so better fix it now. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.