Another dead Venom Red 08'

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Oh no. What part of MD. I don't want to write anything but I think I know who this is. I left a VM for him tonight, hope that everyone is ok.

vincy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have so many accidents happened with the earlier year Vipers? Do all the Vipers have a high accident rate? Just the 80? Or does it seem that way because the accidents are reported on this forum?

When we first got our 08 the handling was very unstable and the car was scary. We got the wheels aligned differently and the Motons adjusted, and the car became much more stable. I'm wondering if the initial alignment is an issue? Of course my comments are not a valid test, just how I felt the car handling.

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have so many accidents happened with the earlier year Vipers? Do all the Vipers have a high accident rate? Just the 80? Or does it seem that way because the accidents are reported on this forum?

When we first got our 08 the handling was very unstable and the car was scary. We got the wheels aligned differently and the Motons adjusted, and the car became much more stable. I'm wondering if the initial alignment is an issue? Of course my comments are not a valid test, just how I felt the car handling.
i think the handeling is awsome on the stock 08,dodge did a great job imo.at one time i was at 150 and a car went right infront of me did not see me/the brakes and handeling were awsome just love this car

DEKE01

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Vincy - I saw MD and an 08 Venom Red and you immediately came to mind. Glad it wasn't you.

You missed a great day at the track on Monday. You would have been eating up all those Ferraris.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the powerband brought about from the cam in cam design (aside from non experienced drivers in a car with the power to weight ratio of an 08 Viper) is attributing to alot of problems people are happening .My heavily modded nat asperated 96 GTS actually had slightly more power than my stock 08 BUT the power band was alot broader and inturn more predictable esp for a barely average driver like myself.The 08 is a different ballgame .The car has nothing down below 3000 rpm (compared to the 96 )then above that all hell breaks loose as the cams adjust untill 6500 (the 96 was DONE at 5800 )Basically the 08 is coming on the cam alot harder and staying there at a higher rpm and speedrate than the 96 making it alot more uncontrollable esp on a cold slick road.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like it was giving birth with that little snake pile in front of the car. Looks like it anyway!

Pretty scary stuff and I hope they are okay. I know that the first 500 miles in my 06 Coupe, the car seemed to be very powerful, almost scary so I eased into it. From 500 up to 1500, it started to get boring as I got use to the power. Put the full Bellanger exhaust on and it perked it up for another 400 miles, but I think the it is Roe time for me.

I have always found large low end torque cars easier to control over the high rpm craziness of some of the grand revers. The worst as my old 89 SHO Taurus. Step on the gas and after it finally picked up, it felt like the fornt wheels were coming off the ground and was just hard to drive and control.

To each their own though.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like it was giving birth with that little snake pile in front of the car. Looks like it anyway!

Pretty scary stuff and I hope they are okay. I know that the first 500 miles in my 06 Coupe, the car seemed to be very powerful, almost scary so I eased into it. From 500 up to 1500, it started to get boring as I got use to the power. Put the full Bellanger exhaust on and it perked it up for another 400 miles, but I think the it is Roe time for me.

I have always found large low end torque cars easier to control over the high rpm craziness of some of the grand revers. The worst as my old 89 SHO Taurus. Step on the gas and after it finally picked up, it felt like the fornt wheels were coming off the ground and was just hard to drive and control.

To each their own though.
Iget exactly the same feeling in the 08.If the rear end came out on my 96 it was at a much lower RPM-speed than the 08 thus muck easier to control.I am told in order to facilitate 600 hp and be emission compliant they were almost forced to use the cam in cam resulting in a much higher rpm powerband.Does anyone know if this is true.

vincy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the powerband brought about from the cam in cam design (aside from non experienced drivers in a car with the power to weight ratio of an 08 Viper) is attributing to alot of problems people are happening .My heavily modded nat asperated 96 GTS actually had slightly more power than my stock 08 BUT the power band was alot broader and inturn more predictable esp for a barely average driver like myself.The 08 is a different ballgame .The car has nothing down below 3000 rpm (compared to the 96 )then above that all hell breaks loose as the cams adjust untill 6500 (the 96 was DONE at 5800 )Basically the 08 is coming on the cam alot harder and staying there at a higher rpm and speedrate than the 96 making it alot more uncontrollable esp on a cold slick road.

I feel the same way about the power curve. It comes on more like a high reving foreign car or a turbo car. I expected a flatter torque curve. I had more torque down low with a 383 Lingenfelter engine. I think the fast power rise makes the car less predictable.

vincy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vincy - I saw MD and an 08 Venom Red and you immediately came to mind. Glad it wasn't you.

You missed a great day at the track on Monday. You would have been eating up all those Ferraris.

Deke01, thanks for your concern. My car was in the shop getting headers.

What was Monday? Maybe you told me but I forgot. Thanks

Viper ACR Lover 02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't really know all that much about the 08s, and this may sound dumb, but what is meant by a "cam in cam" design?

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel the same way about the power curve. It comes on more like a high reving foreign car or a turbo car. I expected a flatter torque curve. I had more torque down low with a 383 Lingenfelter engine. I think the fast power rise makes the car less predictable.

Its funny i was trying to break the engine in (stay below 4 grand )and my thoughts were (in comparision to my modded 96 )that for 600 hp this car has nothing down low .As i got on it more and more (mileage progressed)it was ,"My GOD man it pulls"I got the car in May so i really hve not experienced a cold winters day in, NJ ,PRIME HORSEPOWER (crary powerband). combined with slick road .

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The cam in cam design allows the engine to satisfy emissions compliance-streetability ect down low while providing great high end power.From what i am told the problem today is not making 600hp out of 500 cu in naturally asperated, it is making that kind of power and meeting emissions standards out of a valve per cyl engine.(notice almost every other automaker in that power range is either 4 valve per cyl or forced induction-Ford GT,Zr1,various Ferrari.