Any dealers take Vipers in on trade?

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got my 2003 Viper for sale, and am looking to get into a 2006 coupe. Are there any dealers that would take the car in on trade, or should I continue trying to sell it outright?

Ryan

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sure they will take in on trade but you will always get more selling it on your own. Even with another purchase if they have to take a trade, they will want to steal it, so they of course can make money on the sale of the trade in. Even most dealerships will admit you will get more money, sometimes substantially more, by selling the car on your own. The only real benefit of trading in is if you just don't want to deal with the hassle of a private sale.

Jersey Jeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I "think" they also can deduct the trade allowance from the newer vehicles price so you only pay sales tax on the difference.

outright sale to use towards new car means you pay tax on full price of new car. If dealer does trade, they only collect from you the tax on the unpaid balance (price minus trade).

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I "think" they also can deduct the trade allowance from the newer vehicles price so you only pay sales tax on the difference.

outright sale to use towards new car means you pay tax on full price of new car. If dealer does trade, they only collect from you the tax on the unpaid balance (price minus trade).

Not in CA...you pay tax on whole new purchase price.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed you will get more if you sell it outright. However I took the easy route when I bought my '08 and just traded my '01 ACR in on it. I know I could have gotten more by selling by my self but I didn't want to wait.

AndrewDoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had this discussion with Bill Pemberton. We figured the tax I would save, and I made sure any offer for a private sale was greater than what we estimated the trade-in value (+ tax saved). I have a car on order, so time frame for me was longer.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Depends on the state--not in Virginia for instance --you pay in on the purchase price (but it is 3.5 last time I did it) Even the best dealers aren't dying for used Vipers---yet.

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RINGGOLD DODGE...... I have bought 5 Vipers from them and a Viper truck all sight unseen and on line. They deliver to your door for free. No hassle, no bull dealership. Mike Robbins is the man. You will be a very happy viper owner. :headbang:

Last edited:

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speaking for New York and Connecticut (from experience), you only pay sales tax on the new purchase after trade in is deducted. So if this is the case, 8% in NY, 6.5% in CT, you have to evaluate the difference between what you think you will get selling privately and the net cost of the new car (if your state is similar).

For me personally, I hate the hassle of selling cars privately. If the dealer is giving me a fair trade-in price, that is worth the savings in time and aggrevation of private sale. Having owned many Corvettes, I had to deal with the "potential" buyers who wanted to "test drive" the car. Many would not come and look if I wouldn't allow it...too many joy riders/non-buyers.

Good luck!:2tu:

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sure they will take in on trade but you will always get more selling it on your own. Even with another purchase if they have to take a trade, they will want to steal it, so they of course can make money on the sale of the trade in. Even most dealerships will admit you will get more money, sometimes substantially more, by selling the car on your own. The only real benefit of trading in is if you just don't want to deal with the hassle of a private sale.

hassle = time, time = money. For some its better to trade in. And the reality of it is. In this day and age. everyone wants a viper for wholesale anyway. So the spread is not a great as you'd think.

Most of the time, it's the seller not being realisitc with the value of the car that prevents a private sale. No offense, just the truth. I have not even looked at the Ad, so I dont even know what thr asking is. But I'd say deal with a quality dealer like Woodhouse. I'm sure they'll be fair on the trade with you. And most states you DO GET a tax credit.

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Illinois you pay tax on the difference of your car and the car your buying. Either way you get bent over trading in your car.

AndrewDoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RINGGOLD DODGE...... I have bought 5 Vipers from them and a Viper truck all sight unseen and on line. They deliver to your door for free. No hassle, no bull dealership. Mike Robbins is the man. You will be a very happy viper owner. :headbang:

I am sure Woodhouse does the same. :D

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hassle = time, time = money. For some its better to trade in. And the reality of it is. In this day and age. everyone wants a viper for wholesale anyway. So the spread is not a great as you'd think.

Most of the time, it's the seller not being realisitc with the value of the car that prevents a private sale. No offense, just the truth. I have not even looked at the Ad, so I dont even know what thr asking is. But I'd say deal with a quality dealer like Woodhouse. I'm sure they'll be fair on the trade with you. And most states you DO GET a tax credit.
Agreed......

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree on the just tradeing in thing...So easy..And you get what you want quickly

DanH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most of the time, it's the seller not being realisitc with the value of the car that prevents a private sale

I find this to be the case most of the time. If you're willing to take a hit with a trade-in why don't you lower the price in order to facilitate a private sale and maybe make a little extra cash?

V

Venomiss

You might want to mention the dealers option in your ad ?

I'd be looking at all kinds of dealers close to you since they wouldn't have to pay shipping or a bigger dealer who has trailers running to the coast like Woodhouse.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960