Any Issues or Recalls with 08

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since I just bought a new 08, just curious if their were any known issues to be aware of.

I only have 600 miles on it and will be heading up to SLC for VOI in September and just want to be ready :drive:

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only two things I'm aware of. One, there was a PCM software update on some 08s. Dealer did mine soon after I took delivery in March, not a big deal. Second, there were some injectors that were defective. They would be replaced under warranty if defective. There was a specific part/batch number that was affected (I want to say part number beginning with 73, but do a search to be sure). Not all injectors beginning with this number were defective, but if you notice a problem and had these they would be replaced. Otherwise a great car, I love mine.

Oh, one other thing, some 08s, mine included, did not have their clutch properly bled and the factory may have used DOT 3 fluid instead of DOT 4. I lost my clutch pedal and had to have the system flushed and bled.

OP
OP
H

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info

My car was built July 08, do you think any of that would have corrected?

EZ 2B Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Viper was built in April 08 and the only issue I had was that the clutch needed to be bled. I've been on some 1000+ mile trips without a hiccup. If your clutch is good when the car gets hot, then I think you are good to go!

OP
OP
H

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Viper was built in April 08 and the only issue I had was that the clutch needed to be bled. I've been on some 1000+ mile trips without a hiccup. If your clutch is good when the car gets hot, then I think you are good to go!

Thanks Man! How many miles do you have on yours?

firecatcamino

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Only recall listed in dealerconnect is a addemdum to owners manual. If you pm last 8 of your vin I can check for that and any other TSB for yours.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My clutch went out after 500 miles. PCM software was updated at the same time the Tech did the clutch. I bought my 08 in March of 09 but I don't know when it was built.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1) Defective front sealing main shaft behind the damper -> loosing a lot of OIL after I drove 1000 miles over the first weekend!!!
2) NO grease in ball joints - suspension!

OP
OP
H

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My clutch went out after 500 miles. PCM software was updated at the same time the Tech did the clutch. I bought my 08 in March of 09 but I don't know when it was built.

I know you know this but...build date is inside your door jamb FYI

OP
OP
H

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up on the ball joints and will definitely keep an eye out for any oil leaks at the front seal.

1) Defective front sealing main shaft behind the damper -> loosing a lot of OIL after I drove 1000 miles over the first weekend!!!
2) NO grease in ball joints - suspension!

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know that early built 08's have hollow rear half-shafts and at some point in production they upgraded to the solid ones as found in the ACR.
Mine was built Feb 25, so I think I may have hollow ones. If so, I would like to know if it's possible to get the upgrade under warranty?

MY600HP

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I know that early built 08's have hollow rear half-shafts and at some point in production they upgraded to the solid ones as found in the ACR.
Mine was built Feb 25, so I think I may have hollow ones. If so, I would like to know if it's possible to get the upgrade under warranty?

Why would Chrysler cover that under warranty? If you don't track your car with slicks you don't need the solid shafts anyway. Besides, the hollow shafts are 3 lbs lighter and have less rotational inertia.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
600 hp with hollow halfs? yuky----- mine was built in october so i think i got the big heavy ones. my car was almost a year old by the time i got it,ordered it in march. lol:rolaugh: