96 GTS Handling Issues

saws

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have a 96 GTS that I bought about 5 months ago. Has 56K miles on it. The car starts getting a little loose on the freeway at 50+ mph. Going straight, holding on to the steering wheel with both hands and all of a sudden the car does a little swerve for no reason. Like hitting a slippery spot, but there is no ice. Just enough to scare me going any faster. Has new tires and recent alignment. Freeway and local roads are relatively smooth. I have heard the car's handling can be affected by ruts on the road/uneven pavement especially with the wide tires. Suspension is all stock, shocks need to be replaced and all the rubber bushings. Just recently had control arm end links replaced front/rear. Any one had similar experience?

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would get the back wheels off the ground. Grab each at 3 & 9 and rock them back and forth. You should have zero to barely perceptible movement. If more, you need inner tie rods. If they are stable, look for obviously unbalanced wishbone adjuster cams at each corner. This causes unbalanced caster angles and nervous handling. They should be fairly straight up in the ears. Report back.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

lane_viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before I replaced the rear toe links my 96 felt similar to what you are describing.

After replacing them and suspension bushings and a good alignment, car felt way different than before.

Hope that helps.

Brian Kelly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ours has done that since day 1. Seems worse when tires are cold and on 2 lane roads that may have uneven lanes with ruts / troughs. May be some suspension issue as well but my $0.02 is that it's the wide tires on one side or the other heading for a more "stable" state, but then the other side tries the same feat. Good luck!

Peter Kater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have a 96 GTS that I bought about 5 months ago. Has 56K miles on it. The car starts getting a little loose on the freeway at 50+ mph. Going straight, holding on to the steering wheel with both hands and all of a sudden the car does a little swerve for no reason. Like hitting a slippery spot, but there is no ice. Just enough to scare me going any faster. Has new tires and recent alignment. Freeway and local roads are relatively smooth. I have heard the car's handling can be affected by ruts on the road/uneven pavement especially with the wide tires. Suspension is all stock, shocks need to be replaced and all the rubber bushings. Just recently had control arm end links replaced front/rear. Any one had similar experience?
Hi there,
I have a 97 GTS in pristine condition (12k miles) and my 2 cents is the "rubber bushings" might be the culprits there.
Their lifespan is about 18y.
Had mine replaced (just like that, because they were passed their lifespan and just showing very light cracks) by Polyurethan bushings. Wauu.. Just night and day!!
I would recommend you to do the shocks, definitely the bushings (go with Polyurethan ones!!) and make sure you re-do the complete geometry + check you have fresh rubber and that your wheels are cracks free (cast aluminum technology on a 96 GTS like yours isn't a good thing over 20y of age...
And your car should handle like spanking new!
Just keep us all posted please and good luck making your snake hold on to the tarmac the way it should!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala