Anyone familiar with VEC wiring?

AndyMac

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Installing a used VEC 3 in my GEN 1 and have had a few discrepancies with the instructions vs my my vec wiring harness. Luckily I caught them before I got too far, but I'm wondering if someone could help me with a few questions.

I will contact Sean Roe if I have to, but I thought I would give him a break. (I've already got an email requesting info with no response yet, so no need to add more to his plate)

Anyhow, I'm looking at the orange wire coming from the injector load box and it isn't hooked to anything. 11 wires go into the box, 10 being injectors and this orange one on the circuit board in a spot called com. I would think it should input into the VEC as I assumed com means communication, but I'm not sure.

Any help would be great.

Later,
1990 300zx ttv8
2002 WRX

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you've got a picture you can post of which wire, I'll take a look on mine. I've got a VEC3 on my '95. I didn't do the install, but I can trace down wires for you.

OP
OP
A

AndyMac

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, I appreciate the help.

You must be registered for see images attach

You can see the orange wire comes out of the box, follows the harness, and goes into a connector that I installed. The wire was originally loose. It was with the red power wire, blue IAT wire and the green Analog 1 in. (all of which were just loose)

Thanks for any help!

8AV8

VCA Member
Reaction score
I had a similar issue when I installed mine, wrote to Sean and he sent me this diagram that was not in the kit.

Attachments

• gen 1.jpg
    gen 1.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
A

AndyMac

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the pic, but it doesn't show that specific wire, but is a nice overall view of the VEC install. I think some of the original connectors on my VEC harness are missing.

OP
OP
A

AndyMac

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright, I shot Sean Roe an email and he got back to me quite quickly. Turns out the orange wire is actually red (a little faded) so it belongs tied in with the red power wire going to the VEC.

The red wire going to the injector load box, powers the circuit so it sends a spike back to the stock ecm every time the stock ecm sends an injector signal so it knows the injector fired. (or at least "thinks" it did since the VEC is in control of the injectors now.

Later,