Anyone in El Paso???

cruser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just moved into the El Paso area and was wondering if there were other Vipers in the area. Also curious if anyone has any problems with the heat.

Thanks

98MODMTR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why would you ever move to a place like that? I moved out of there over 4 years ago and never looked back! But on the topic of being other viper owners...go look through the "west side" The reason you won't see them on the east side is because they have already been taken into mexico to never be seen again. Have you taken the snake through the moutains (the road that connects the east and west sides?) It starts over off of Dyer and heads to the west side to I-10. Awesome run! Give it a try.

OP
OP
C

cruser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A work opportunity brought me here, believe me I would never choose this place on my own. I actually don't have the Viper down here yet. My wife and I are building a house and staying in a corporate apartment right now. I was just wondering how the car did in the heat and how often cars were stolen.

98MODMTR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You really don't want to know the stats on stolen cars. It is so easy to get a car across the borders there, it's truly not funny. As far as the heat goes, its a dry heat and really not bad. Being originally from floirda, I found it not to be bad at all. Infact, it's the winter that I didn't like there! It gets damn cold! More so, the storms that roll over the Franklin mountains. They are some of the meanest I have ever seen! Loved those! Are you building on the west side?

OP
OP
C

cruser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with the heat, it is not so bad. Last week I had to go to Corpus Christi on business and that was rough. The humidity of Southern Texas was intense.

I am building on the east side. We looked at probably 30 homes on the west side, but the build quality was all pretty poor. Of course the homes we did like were over $500k and a little out of our territory. Even homes that were just a couple of years old looked pretty bad inside. We would pull up to these gorgeous homes and be excited until we walked in. I liked the accesibility of the east side better than the west and it is closer to my office. We are building on Edgemere off of Joe Battle if you recall the area well enough. I am also worried about leaving the car at various places and to have it vandalized, any comments on that?

Thanks for your information, I appreciate it.

Ryan

98MODMTR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
East side is the way to go for access to 90% of el paso. But you have seen that road that connects the two sides correct? I will be honest with you. I am really nervous about you leaving that car anywhere (east or west). I guess that is why you have insurance...but when I lived there...a lot of friends vehicles ended up south of the border. I don't know. Do you own the car outright? If not, get gap insurance. I hate to sound negative about the place, but I am only speaking from experience.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've spent time there too, even landed on the top of Franklin Mountain(single spot helicopter pad :2tu: ). I wouldn't want to be there with the car, simply because of the theft rate and easy access to Wuarez. I bet the insurance for the car will be a bit high.

OP
OP
C

cruser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I appreciate the honesty, nothing I hate more than fluff. I do own the car outright, so no worries there, but the insurance I was quoted was no higher than in Washington State.

I believe the road you are speaking of is Trans-Mountain. I have been on it once and I could see how it would be fun. All the dust around here would worry me a little, though. I haven't been in a climate like this before and wonder how the dust will affect the roads. Don't want to slide around too much.

Thanks Jayson for your input and feel free to let me know anything else on El Paso. My wife and I have only been here a couple of weeks and know nothing, she is going a little stir-crazy.

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Cruser! Congrats on the promo with the company. I just found out you moved the other day when Scott worked a relief shift at my store. Good luck!

OP
OP
C

cruser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Mikey, good luck to you to if you have Scott working at your store.

Give me a call sometime so we can talk about that supercharger, I would love to know what it is like.

98MODMTR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I appreciate the honesty, nothing I hate more than fluff. I do own the car outright, so no worries there, but the insurance I was quoted was no higher than in Washington State.

I believe the road you are speaking of is Trans-Mountain. I have been on it once and I could see how it would be fun. All the dust around here would worry me a little, though. I haven't been in a climate like this before and wonder how the dust will affect the roads. Don't want to slide around too much.

Thanks Jayson for your input and feel free to let me know anything else on El Paso. My wife and I have only been here a couple of weeks and know nothing, she is going a little stir-crazy.

AH! Trans Moutain. You sir are correct. Dust! Very much a problem, so much infact, that it causes (with help from the wind) a sand blast effect. Just be very careful about where you take it. I surely wouldn't take it anywhere that you will lose sight of it (ie. mall, movies, dinner (no window to see her) really...) Juarez is pretty neat to go too during the day. I don't advise you go at night. PM me if you want to know what I have personally witnessed and have been apart of. Sadly, there really isn't much to do around there. The owner of the local beer distribution plant owns a beautiful home on the south tip of the Franklins and throws pretty good parties (all the beer you could ever want) I often went to New Mexico on the weekends just to see a different color sand (LOL). If your into fishing, there is a cool fish farm just off the last exit out of Texas going north via I-10. Ah, send a pm if you would like to know more specific things. Been a while since I was last there for any time longer than a few hours.