At what speed do you notice lift?

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who knows at what speed the SRT Viper starts to get squirrelly. Yesterday I took her up to 150 mph at the track for the first time and felt just a little lift. There was some occasional light wind from time to time yesterday and maybe I caught a headwind or side wind. I had done the same thing at 140 mph several times and never noticed diminished control. I think I heard previously that lift starts in the 170s, but now I wonder if I should question that. Anyone?

DavidSB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran mine to a little over 160 in last month's Silver State Classic which is on recently paved 2-lane rural Nevada road. I can't be more precise on my speed as at 160 I only chanced to glance at the speedo quickly. The wind was calm, the section where I hit 160 was probably around 4,000' elevation, and was running stock PS run-flat tires at 34PSI. The car was very stable up through 150 and was just starting to lighten up around the 160 mark when I slowed it up.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I start to notice the front end dipping ever so slightly starting at 140-150 (note I have a splitter). I guess it to provide about 100-150 lbs of downforce at that speed. Seems much more stable than it was stock. Without the splitter it seemed to get squirrely at about 150.

Not sure but it seems like the back is stable and the loss is in the front (different than the RT/10 whose rear got noticeably ligt in the 140-150 range).

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
For comparo, it matters a LOT what configuration:

Stock, OE ride height? ie no MoTons or lowering, or shorter tires.
Soft Top? OE Aero? (no wings / splitters )
Wider F tires than OE can create lift!

Hard Tops create some down-force.
Lowering eliminates lift.
Rake eliminates lift.
No Wiper blades gives a bit more downforce.
Vented cowls/hoods eliminate lift.
Side-splitters eliminate lift.
Air-Dam-Splitter combo elimintes lift AND creates downforce.
Wings, Spoilers, Canards, etc etc

Note: Eliminating lift is one thing.
Creating downforce is a seperate thing.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Air-Dam-Splitter combo elimintes lift AND creates downforce.
Hot damn! Maybe that's why it seems more in control.

498100_1430-med.jpg

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
at 182 mph mine hits a brick wall of aerodynamic resistance. the 1100 lb rear springs that come stock with the ACR make the car feel very stable though. i am in the process of modifying my vipers engine for more power so i can bust 200 mph. i can't feel any lift on this car whatosever.

quick2tr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought I read that the SRT-10’s aerodynamics created down force (unlike a vette’s positive lift). Smooth undercarriage and a functional diffuser. I always assumed this to be something that became more at increased speeds rather than transforming to lift.

Paul S Lacey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
155 did it for me the car became light and I backed off with the roof off it was a wonderfull experience.

Event was with the Red Arrows Squadron (best pilots in the world) two mile runway and perimeter track.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I too ran the Silver State in May of this year. I ran an Autoform hard top, stock size Pilot Sports and an otherwise stock bodied car. Very stable at 160 mph - we ran at 160 for about 50 miles all together. No lifting or other problems. As JonB said, the hardtop probably helped. I've been at 150 with the top down and the car began to feel a bit light.

Car is currently in the shop for a 1-inch lowering and Motons, so next year I may go a bit faster. My tuner, who races, says 180 is the magic number without any other body mods. I haven't gotten there....yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery