autoform gen 1 hardtop and windows...

Donuts4me9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone have them? What are the upsides and downsides to it? I'm looking to buy a car that has one and I want to know what you guys think of them.

thanks for your imput !

Scott

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They look pretty nice on the Gen I cars, the windows are curved on top so the top is a little taller to give a more headroom.

splochocki

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think it's the best looking top for a GEN 1. Makes the RT/10 look like a GTS without the hatch. Only real downside is it can't fit in the trunk.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Best. Check my gallery. You can drive +160MPH without worrying that the roof will fly off. It makes the RT/10 look VERY similat to the coupes. Mine has fooled several believing that the a-pillars are real, including NHRA track officials...

3114DSCN3556-med.JPG

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Autoform top is the way to go but Jeff makes a good product as well I might add. I love my top and like Lauri said, you can go 160 and the top has NO lift. Good headroom also. Here is a picture from the back of mine.
70163-med.jpg

Klayfish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is it like to install and remove these tops? Do they lock on so the car is fairly secure from the outside?

Steve

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is it like to install and remove these tops? Do they lock on so the car is fairly secure from the outside?
Steve

The top is very light, I have put it on many time alone, easier with 2 though. Side windows attach to doors with 2 screws. The windows have locks.

pattymelt3605

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Red, Do you have a pic of the roof from the rear of the car?

Here is a pic of mine:

You must be registered for see images

SNAKE BITE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is also a decision i've gone back and forth on.
Can someone PhotoShop a picture of cars with Autoform and Jeff's top next to eachother for a side by side comparison?

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can someone post a pic of the inside of the car (window area) with the top and windows Please? What do you guys with these setups think about the size of the window opening? Is it enough or is it annoying?

whitebluevipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
do you have to drill through the door molding to use the screws for the side window? could you post a picture of the interior on how the windows attatch? thanks in advance.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
do you have to drill through the door molding to use the screws for the side window? could you post a picture of the interior on how the windows attatch? thanks in advance.

The windows have 2 large hooks on the bottom. Just like the original canvas windows.
Rear top is attached with one screw. Just like the original one.

You dont need to drill anything. BOLT ON.

TheMeat

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can someone post a pic of the inside of the car (window area) with the top and windows Please? What do you guys with these setups think about the size of the window opening? Is it enough or is it annoying?

I dont have any pics of the inside of my windows. I really like the extra headroom( I'm 6'3") and I can actually see out of the windows now without tucking my chin into my chest. This was the first mod I did to my Viper and it made it a much more enjoyable car. The interior noise at highway speeds is alot less and once you get the top adjusted corectly, it does not squeak or rattle. Great product.

Ray.

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys...Now if I could just somehow find a used one so i don't need to shell out $3,700......hhmmmmmmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn....

syldogRT/10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I also have an Auto form top and windows. It has only been on my car for 1 hour when I drove it home and took it off. Not sure it was adjusted correctly but it squeeked some thing awful! Again, I didn't tweek it or any thing so perhaps it needed adjusting? Any hints guys? Other than that the top looks great and the headroom is excellent. Since winter is now here in PA. I was considering putting it back on.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also have an Auto form top and windows. It has only been on my car for 1 hour when I drove it home and took it off. Not sure it was adjusted correctly but it squeeked some thing awful! Again, I didn't tweek it or any thing so perhaps it needed adjusting? Any hints guys? Other than that the top looks great and the headroom is excellent. Since winter is now here in PA. I was considering putting it back on.

It does squeek like a pig if the rear latches are loose.

Here's few pic's of the side windows.

DSCN5356.JPG

DSCN5355.JPG

DSCN5354.JPG

Do you need the sports bar on to use this top?

I have the sports bar on with and without the top. Easy 5 minute install. Less hassle that way.
I'm not sure why you would want to remove sportsbar?

TheMeat

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys...Now if I could just somehow find a used one so i don't need to shell out $3,700......hhmmmmmmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn....

I thought you were selling your car???

Maybe Autoform will have another 20% off sale. I bought mine during their last sale this Summer.

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Laurie, Thanks for the pics! I am sold on the top...

TheMeat - you are right I was going to do it. I really thought about it and I love my car, the only issue really is the top and windows...I am confident the Autoform will cure that, especially because it give it that GTS look which I love. I kind of get the best of both worlds while being able to keep the car. Other than that, i love everything else about my car. I have put SO much money and time into it to make it as perfect as it is, seems silly to get rid of it for another Viper, if I can just fix the problem I have with it here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang