batt light on

newelly

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi all was wondering if any of you gen 1 owners can point me in the right direction as my service manual hasent shown up yet...today while driving my 95 rt/10 the little red batt light came on and shortly therafter the car temp gauge went up to the red line and on the drive home would cycle the engine light also...I know a new batt was installed last year...all your thoughts on the matter appreciated
thanks
newelly 95 red rt/10

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Um,
have you checked to see if your Serp. belt is still on the car? I betting it's gone(the reason for the temp rise and loss of the alt.). :confused:

OP
OP
N

newelly

Viper Owner
Reaction score
opps should of mentioned that the belt is still on also the amp gauge reads up near 16 scince this happened

OP
OP
N

newelly

Viper Owner
Reaction score
seems to me my fan is not working..turn on the ac...no fan..the bat light comes on wenever the engine temp reaches the 3/4 mark and go's off when the temp go's back to the last mark on the 3 middle lines....any idea's if the fan is shot its self or somthing else...seems like a simple sys (still waiting for my diagnostic manual to arrive)...also they dont stock single fans anymore only the double ones ..is this a direct bolt on for 95 gen 1...come winter ill do the rad and fan upgrade...any thoughts
thanks

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
seems to me my fan is not working..turn on the ac...no fan..the bat light comes on wenever the engine temp reaches the 3/4 mark and go's off when the temp go's back to the last mark on the 3 middle lines....any idea's if the fan is shot its self or somthing else...seems like a simple sys (still waiting for my diagnostic manual to arrive)...also they dont stock single fans anymore only the double ones ..is this a direct bolt on for 95 gen 1...come winter ill do the rad and fan upgrade...any thoughts
thanks

Sounds like the fan has a short and when the computer tells it to turn on it drags the battery down and triggers the batter light. Of course the fan not running = hot temps.

OP
OP
N

newelly

Viper Owner
Reaction score
yes i was thinking that...whithout the diag manual though its hard to ts...can the fan be tested by hooking up a 12 volt to it...to see if it working ?

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...can the fan be tested by hooking up a 12 volt to it...to see if it working ?
Sounds like an excellent way to test to me. At least it will tell you if the fan motor is functional.