Daytime Running Light Activation-Gen 1

WARPFOUR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm trying to activate the daytime running lights on my '95 Viper. My vehicle was sold new in the US. I do live near the Canadian border, but that has nothing to do with my activity, I'm just a shallow person who likes things that light up by themselves.

I know the Canadian DRLs are supposed to be de-powered high beams. I have the Factory Service Manual/schematics and have identified the plug and the "jumper" that plugs into it in place of the DRL module, and understand the schematic for the wiring associated with the DRL module. The three fuses associated with the circuits into the module are all good. I have no bent pins in the module, and the plug is fine. When I plug the "jumper" back in, all associated lighting works fine. My "BRAKE" warning light works properly, and my parking brake is not deactivating the circuit.

I have identified the Mopar DRL module part number 56004262 and the Dorman 704-304 part number as an aftermarket replacement, and purchased a new Dorman 704-304 module, plugged it in, and went through the on/off of ignition key/headlights, parking brake, etc. No DRLs displayed.

What am I overlooking to activate my DRLs, or is it not possible? The schematic in the Service Manual does show "Canadian Only" in reference to the module vs the "jumper,", but the wiring is the same. Is there something else that has to be done beyond adding the DRL module? I have searched other posts, but they do not cover activating a US-spec Gen 1 car. I appreciate any insight. Thanks in advance.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I know in the gen 3+ that it is a setting in the BCM that you change, but I'm thinking the gen 1 would have been a little early for that and more likely "hardware" implemented as you've seen with harnesses and such. I've hooked my DRB III up to my mom's 94 once before to diagnose a spark issue, but can't recall what all I saw in there for options.

OP
OP
W

WARPFOUR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. Looking the schematic for the Gen 1/95 forward lighting, I expected to plug in the module and have them operational. I actually bought a second module, which, of course, didn't work either when plugged in. The GEN 1s don't seem to go through a data bus or any part of ECM, so I'm thinking there's nothing to "activate" the system. Strictly straightforward old school wiring up to the module. If I had a schematic of the circuits in the DRL module, I could possibly see what connects to what and see if I'm missing something. C'mon Canadian members, someone must have imported a US-spec car to Canada in the last 25 years. What did you do to get your DRLs to activate?

RAlbrecht

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just imported a 2000 GTS to the US and am wondering how to deactivate the DRL.. I know it's not helpful but if I figure it out I can try and reference my wiring to help diagnose your issue.

OP
OP
W

WARPFOUR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Acknowledged. The Gen 1 and Gen 2 DRL modules are physically different, with different shaped plugs, and would not interchange. One avenue for you to investigate is to source a US -spec Gen 2 "jumper" plug, if the Gen 2s had a similar setup. Unplug your DRL module, plug in the "jumper" and secure your harness. You would need to look at a US-spec Gen 2 engine compartment to verify that setup exists, or check a service manual schematic for your model year, as I am not sure if it is that easy. Good luck with your deactivation.

9yw559

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Gen 2 wired to run the fog lights whenever the car is running. Found the wiring directions in some magazine years ago and I was tired of people not seeing me and pulling out in front of me. I probably have the directions in a file somewhere for the last 20 years......if you are interested then let me know.

OP
OP
W

WARPFOUR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I could do that also, but I'd like to get the factory setup going. Don't worry about looking for it. I appreciate the follow up.

Goggles Pizano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you pull up on the parking Brake lever, it deactivates the DRLs at the same time the “BRAKE” comes on.
that is the correct operation of the system. nothing is wrong.

DRL deactivate when you set the parking brake or turn on the headlight switch or flash to pass or fog lights on (fogs is a 2020 change). that is part the federal standards.

So what is your question/issue? your opening post read the DRL are not working at all but then you state they do???

OP
OP
W

WARPFOUR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, I was mentioning the items I looked at in diagnosing why I can’t get my DRLs to activate. The brake handle is all the way down and the brake warning light is off.

OP
OP
W

WARPFOUR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are not. My post requests input on getting them activated from non- functionality as shipped by the factory for a US-spec car. Sorry for any confusion.

Goggles Pizano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even though the lights work without the drl module, I would confirm all 3 12V inputs (my guess they are good), check the ground as the drl module has a ground, then check the low beam input, parking brake input and the relay output (going from memory typing this from a 96/97 manual). Best would be to post some of the pages from your 95.
Your module is not triggering it's output pin but there are multiple input signals.

OP
OP
W

WARPFOUR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All right, yes, it has taken me this long to follow up on this issue...and I'm nominating myself for the "Braindead Diagnosing Effort of the Year" award. After driving myself batty trying to diagnose why I can't activate the Daytime Running Lights on my US-sold '95, I finally had the "Eureka!" moment. I have the factory Service Manual set for the car. After buying two modules, checking voltages, checking fuses, checking fusible links, and running through the entire set of schematics/circuits that come into play for the DRL system, I finally have operational DRLs. What, you say, finally happened that activated the DRLs? One of the inputs in the feeds to the module is from the Vehicle Speed Sensor. All I had to do was ...wait for it...was MOVE THE CAR! Arrrghh!

Anyway, for future reference, for those of you who reside in Canada who have a DRL malfunction, or those of you who are importing a US-spec vehicle into Canada, just find the DRL plug at the right front corner of the engine bay on the frame rail, unplug the single wire "jumper" plug (US Cars) and plug in a Dorman 704-304 DRL module...then, most importantly, move the car in forward or reverse.

Goggles Pizano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From the service manual:
On vehicles built for sale in Canada, the LOW beam headlamps operate, at reduced intensity, when the ignition switch is in the RUN position and the vehicle is moving.

What is the last word??

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62