Battery tender $16.99....link

SneakyPete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never have a problem with dead batteries unless I let it sit for a very long time. which never happens in Florida.

I like the one that Corry from Snake Oyl sells. To each his own.

tzoid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just bought a brand name "Battery Tender" at Pep Boys for my wife's M/B. Price was $69.95. I've owned an additional "Battery Tender" which I've had on my Viper for several years. Both look substantially different than the one you've shown. Just looks like there's more substance to the real thing. Something just may not be the same at 1/4 the price....

Reaction score
The one pictured in the link is basically the same thing I've been using for almost 4 years on my GTS. I removed the clips and did a little hard wire work...., and added a quick disconnect close to the car between the tender and the transformer. (stupid me)....I just re-wired the whole thing because I walked through the garage with the lights off!! Oh well, it gave me a good reason to re-wire it and add heat shrink to the connections. I use one of those RC Car 9.6V connectors, and this time I removed the little clips that "lock" them together, and I plugged-unplugged the connector (prior to installation) about a gazillion times. I wanted to make sure the next time I kicked it (not IF...but when), it would actually come apart easily and I wouldn't have to do it all over. The only problem I ever had was when I came back from Italy, had no garage, and I stored the car in a self-storage place with no power. Ever since, no problems. When uplugged the car-side connector tucks back behind the small body section in front of the door, out of site. YMMV of course. :)

OP
OP
Reaction score
I have used this particular product for years on many batteries....Knock on wood I've never had a problem. I have dilligentlt checked their performance with a voltmeter and never found them putting out anything but 13.1 volts (which is perfect) and never had one fail.

I guess you can pay whatever makes you feel better....but sometimes you can get a quality product for less.

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As much as I hate to agree with MAMBA...I have two of those Harbor Freight Tenders that I paid $16 for each. Had them now for three years and they work great. Why pay $69? Why pay $100? Remember what P.T. Barnum's famous quote was?

Scott E. Smith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
" there's a sucker born every minute" I beleive that's the quote.....I've use thes same tenders for my viper and lawn tractor for over three years...never a problem.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes,

It's cheap insurance. Although, I've had my '98 Viper in storage for 3 months, and it fired right up.... 2 years in a row. Did I just curse myself for late March 2003? Darn....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cookviper