Belanger headers, thermal wrap, check engine light.

jaydoc1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a new (for me) 2002 GTS FE. It has Corsa Cat back exhaust, high flow cats, Belanger headers, K&N filters and smooth tubes. Now shortly after I got it the check engine light came on and was read out as an O2 sensor in bank 1. The light went off on its own after a day. Now I'm wondering if this is due to the presence of the headers at a much higher altitude and now the computer has compensated for the new altitude.

2nd, as I'm reading about the headers I notice it says not to put thermal wrap on the headers or it will melt/damage the tubing (not sure what tubing). The previous owner hasn't had any problems with the thermal wrap, obviously.

1) Does the altitude thing sound plausible. Would you take it in to have it looked at?

2) Any problems with the wrap on the headers?

Thanks

revived_gearhead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not sure if the wrapping has anything to do with the error code, but Belanger definetly states not to wrap the headers because the excess heat will cause the coating to fail prematurely.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Belanger definetly states not to wrap the headers because the excess heat will cause the coating to fail prematurely.
This is true. My car came with Edlebrock headers that had been coated with the same ceramic style coating as the Belangers. They had the fabric-type header wrap on them and when I took it off the ceramic coating was in very bad shape, pitted etc. I have no idea why the wrap does this. There is no way it is holding in moisture because any moisture is going to boil out very quickly.

sparty116

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do not wrap Bellanger headers. The jet hot coating is designed keep the heat inside the pipes and dissipates the remaining heat. A wrap will hold the heat in and ruin the coating.

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How long have you had the car? When did the check engine light start?

There is an issue with headers on newer Vipers. It has to do with the amount of time allowed for 02 sensor heat-up. In the factory header, the 02 sensor is closer to the head. This might be the case if the front 02s are failing.

If it is the rear sensors, I have seen this from aftermarket catalytic converters. It normally happens when the car is not hot….you idle a lot and then give it hard acceleration pouring in the fuel = Check Engine.

What did you use to read the code? Can you tell if it is the front or rear 02s giving you fits?

OP
OP
J

jaydoc1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jerry, I had it read at Autozone and it came back as a bank one sensor. Now the light went off shortly after that and had not reappeared. I also spoke last night with the previous owner and he said both Bill Pemberton at Woodhouse Dodge and Chuck Tator (who installed the headers for him) said that this particular wrap wouldn't hurt the headers. It was the wrap on the factory headers apparantly. Now I haven't spoken with either of them but am planning on dropping them both a line today.

If the check engine light doesn't come back on I'm going with the change in altitude theory.

OP
OP
J

jaydoc1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
BTW, Jerry, I'm going to be in KC for the Buffalo Run in October. I understand the KC Club is going to have quite a contingent there.

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I"ve got Belanger and am at altitude. The only time the CE light came on, I needed to have the front O2 sensor replaced. These things go bad from time to time.

OP
OP
J

jaydoc1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I"ve got Belanger and am at altitude. The only time the CE light came on, I needed to have the front O2 sensor replaced. These things go bad from time to time.

That was the code that was read out but the light went out on it's own and the code is no longer present. If it comes back I'll get it in to be checked.