Bogus gas prices

VIPR GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In one hour today the price of 93 octane went from $213.9 to $233.9 per gallon.
This is pure BS, we are getting ripped off by someone, Big Gas, Arabs, Big Brother? Who is doing this to us and how can the price change of the gas already in the tanks at the station. I'm pissed again!

Saleen-Explorer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, thats really odd. Down here in South Florida I've never really noticed gas prices changing in a day (maybe a cent or two) but to make a jump from 2.13 to 2.33 is nutz :eek: , I know stations can change their price daily but I've never seen one with such a drastic difference.

On that note, one of the Mobil stations here got sick of Mobil and how they run themselves and basically don't care about any of their stations (friends of ours had a couple Mobil's and sold them for the same reason), so they switched to some other company with the same quality of gas but it's about 20 cents cheaper per gallon. I went to fill up one day and there was a note on each pump explaining why they switched over to this new brand allowing the savings to be passed on to their customers.

FlyBryViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Damn gas is expensive in Ohio at $233.90 per gallon. It's only about $2.09 down at the Chevron for 93 octane. You could drive to Texas and save $231.81 per gallon!

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed. It really *****. Chicago prices have gone up by about that much but its taken a week or more.

There are alot of factors at play, the most interesting one I heard was recently reported by NPR. The claim was that some of the price movement in recent times was attributable to the forward positions purchased by a bunch of ex-energy traders (e.g. displaced Enron folk with nothing else to do)....the positions designed to restrict movement and influence price.

Hard to believe that even some really wealthy individuals could pull that off, but interesting hypothesis nonetheless.

The conclusion of the story was that this restriction was unsustainable and that prices would return to "normal" (whatever that is) by July.

ElCapo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here in Redmond, WA it's $2.53-2.55 at Chevron for 92 octane(Premium).

Just wait until someone in CA jumps in with some even higher prices.

tim721

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$1.96 here for premium at Costco, then right up the street other places have it for $2.15

i heard it may be close to $3 by mid summer

i'm gonna have to finance my sneaky pete trips

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
today i went to a station (in norwalk CT) and 94 was $2.94 my beat was almost empty so i put 12 bucks in her and dident even get a quater tank, these prices are only at this station THAT I KNOW OF and i was too low on gas to go to another station.

WHEN WILL THE PRICES STOP CLIMBING

Miles B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Over here, 93 is $3.15 a gallon.

It has always been the case that gas drops about 3-4 cents a gallon per day, then towards the end of the week, bounces straight back up to the high price - BAM 20 to 30 cents. If you screw up and miss the cheap day, it ****** you off.

Apparently up in Sydney they are paying another 40c a gallon. Not sure if that is for 93 or just 87!

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jesus christ

thats B.S.

Drivin an 80k car and you got friggin bad gas *** ohh i would whip peoples a$$

Im sorry bro

LIRacer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No offense my brethren, but we drive $80,000 cars and are whinning that the fill up costs $5.00 more then a month ago??? Sheesh! Even at $3.00 a gallon, it is still much less expensive then anywhere else. The Eurowienies are laughing at us since they have been paying $4 and $5 a gallon for years. Besides if oil risise to $50 a barrel wew ill start pumping more domestic supplies and be buying less from the terrorist network maned OPEC.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Too bad we weren't just pumping all the Iraqi oil and shipping it to the US without paying (financially) for it. George W. is the oil man with no plan, no appologies, and no sense. Just my opinion. I'm sure the GW supporters out there will chime in with "at least he stays the course!"

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viperfreak2,
You do remember the events of 9-11 don't you?

Those guys live over there and will come here to kill Americans.
It's not our choice, it's what they have decided to do.

Now, do you want to fight them here or over there?

You should think about the choices President Bush has.
Lay it all out and be logical. Don't listen to our countries enemies, those over there or those at home.
Think for yourself.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Haliburton had to refund the government for the overpriced gas they were charging--somehow I think we are getting the costs of a whole lot of things passed on to us.

Seriously, this is not supply-demand economics, but something completely different. Although this will sound un-American, I think gas is such a necessity for basically everybody in America that it should not be treated as a pure free market entity. Prices should be regulated. We do this for interest rates, health care costs, education and a whole lot of other things, so why not?

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We could have the government set prices for all kinds of things.
They could even set the amount you get for working at your job.
The government could take your money and give it to people who don't have as much as you.

We could turn the whole country into a big commune.

But like Archie Bunker said,
"people who live in communes are communists".

By the way, the government does not regulate interest rates health care costs or education costs.

You can pay as much as you like for these things on the open market. If you are dealing with a government program, that's not the case.

Just because the Fed sets interest rates doesn't mean that a credit card company can't charge 22%.

Just because Medicare only pays so much doesn't mean private hospitals can't charge what they want.

What government tells Yale or a private day care how much to charge?

OP
OP
V

VIPR GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
LIRacer: I am not ******** about driving my Viper, what is another couple of bucks to have all that fun, it is the fact that they can raise the price so much for the gas that is already refined and in the ground at the stations. I think it makes you feel *****, you want to be upset with the gas station, but they don't do it, the just work there for $6 an hour, they don't even get a raise, just the big guys get richer and we have no recourse against them. No free market on gas, we can't burn something else in our tanks, they control us.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No offense my brethren, but we drive $80,000 cars and are whinning that the fill up costs $5.00 more then a month ago??? Sheesh! Even at $3.00 a gallon, it is still much less expensive then anywhere else. The Eurowienies are laughing at us since they have been paying $4 and $5 a gallon for years. Besides if oil risise to $50 a barrel wew ill start pumping more domestic supplies and be buying less from the terrorist network maned OPEC.

Since it is my daily driver, it is not just an occasional extra $5, it will amount to hundreds of dollars by the end of the summer (e.g., driving from NC to TX and back for VOI8, 1200 miles one way).

The price is ~$2.10 for premium here in the Triangle, NC, but that didn't stop me from a 170 run last night with the top off ;)

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If its your daily driver you really suffer but $2.10 is not that bad.

My viper is not my daily driver (thank god) but i drive my mustang as a daily driver which is not as bad as the viper on gas but no where near an average 4 cyl either.

This is the ONLY instance where ricers have us beat, well gas and that big a$$ wing (that we don't want anyway) but thats another story.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We could have the government set prices for all kinds of things.
They could even set the amount you get for working at your job.
The government could take your money and give it to people who don't have as much as you.

We could turn the whole country into a big commune.

But like Archie Bunker said,
"people who live in communes are communists".

By the way, the government does not regulate interest rates health care costs or education costs.

You can pay as much as you like for these things on the open market. If you are dealing with a government program, that's not the case.

Just because the Fed sets interest rates doesn't mean that a credit card company can't charge 22%.

Just because Medicare only pays so much doesn't mean private hospitals can't charge what they want.

What government tells Yale or a private day care how much to charge?

I knew my post would get a rise out of someone :cool: Sorry. Actually, the government does take our money and give it to people who have less...unless you don't pay taxes. By the way, how much did you have to pay to get your education through high school? Did you know it is illegal to charge a Medicare patient beyond the 20% of usual and customary fees that is reimbursed? That's another example of charging people more to pay for those who pay less, and it occurs in the private sector not the government. The Fed does set the interest rate, and it not only has a profound impact on the economy, it is the primary method of economic stimulus they have. Do these things make us communists? Just because you can pay whatever you want elsewhere does not make us a capitalist society or a communist one. Even the communists paid cash on the free market whenever they really wanted something. So if you want to go to Yale, you pay. So what? We do subsidize health care, education, and control the economy in our "free market". Controlling the price of gas--an unregulated area of private industry that makes huge profits--would not be communism at all.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe117, it's not about fighting the war, it's the decisions made so far about how. I think (again my opinion) we should have cleaned house. Every time we see chanting in the streets of Bagdad, a C130 should come along and wipe them all out. I wouldn't be opposed to tactical battlefield nukes either. George W has the right 'path' in mind, he just doesn't have the good ideas to get there.

Think about this one: start a rumor that GW is coming back to Bagdad airport to officially turn over the gov't to Iraq. Paint a salvage 747 up in perfect Air Force One colors. Fly it in (after all our troops are at a safe distance) and set off a neutron bomb. Do you know how many bad guys would be at or near the airport if they thought they could get GW???

cayenne

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Trouble is....there isn't a shortage of supply of oil to make gas. It is a shortage of refineries that is the problem. They are all at full blast capacity....but, more can't get built due to
a: Not profitable to the oil co.s
b: Environmentalist problems...try getting a new one built, and protest city.

At least that's my read on it with the reading and tv show's I've seen on the subject.

cayenne