Bubbling Paint - Rocker Panel - Fire Hazard and Design Flaw

George Sciacca

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I have a 16 GTS and paint is bubbling just forward of the rocker panels by the air vent? Appears on both drivers and passenger side and actually melting the plastics and turning yellow? Anyone else have this issue? It is due to exhaust pipe being to close to plastic panel. Dealership wants NOTHING to do with it. They say its a paint defect....WRONG!!!! Its a defect in the manufacturing process.

When driving, it will heat up and melt (Bubble), then cool down and harden when parked for prolonged period of time.

BTW, also running stock exhaust system.

Help!

Geo

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

TexasViper35

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A quick Goggle search and you will find others that have experienced this issue, although it seems most just complain of yellowing not full on melting. But those pieces are supposed to have heat shield material laminated to the back of them and for some cars, miraculously not all, it is insufficient to protect from the heat.

Go to a different MOPAR store to find help resolving the problem.

Lance

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree that you should find another dealer to rectify the issue especially since your exhaust is stock. I know on the previous generation Vipers many people get scorching hot rocker panels that can burn you or warp the paint due to the exhaust heat. The best fix that I know of (other than the dealer fixing for free) is to install high-flow cats or remove the cats all together. Removing the cats makes a significant difference in my opinion. I'm not sure if NJ has DEQ or anything but my car came from NJ and came with cats removed which I was happy about.