Burned side-sill insulation

ntmatter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After pulling off my side sills, I noticed that the insulation over the catalytic converters had the was pretty well burned. The thin metal cover was crisped off, and I could see the yellow insulative material in a large patch over where the cat is. Does anyone know if this is something I should freak out about? Can I get some sort of high-heat tape to patch the existing insulation? Does this kind of wear indicate a problem with my cats?

Thanks,

A

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds pretty normal to me. There are some things you can do to reduce the impact such as painting the inside of the sills with VHT paint, going with high-flow cats, etc. but I wouldn't worry too much about it. Did you see Dan Cragin's post down the board a little about the new insulation package he's putting together for everything, including side sills?

Ronnie

Eddie N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
definitely take action to prevent your side sills from yellowing.. it is VERY apparent on silver cars and begins to show sooner... if you havent already, consider switching to hiflow cats or make sure to really insulate that area good..

- eddie -

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the exact same problem. I tried using some Thermo-Tec 2000 degree cat heat shield blankets to replace the damaged area of my heat shields, but they caught on fire under the side sills. I don't think they are really rated for 2000 degrees. Anyways, I am anxiously awaiting Don Cragins insulation package, because the only way to buy the stock heat shields is to buy the whole side sill asm for like $3,500 a piece. I don't think so Dodge.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure if anyone has tried these yet, they were added to the accessories area about a month ago:

Advanced Thermal Products, Inc.
Justin Hulse, Marketing Director

2145 S. Grand Ave
Santa Ana, CA 92705

Email: [email protected]
Phone: 800-826-8417
Fax: 714-662-7722

As you probably know, Viper's can get hot, especially at the floorboards below the doors, where the exhaust runs.

Advanced Thermal Products, Inc. has developed an insulation cover that can cure the problem. The cover completely surrounds the Viper's CAT and muffler. We feel a lot of Viper owners that would be interested in this product. We also develop custom product (thermal/acoustic insulation) that could help customers with any specific concerns.

We’ve been manufacturing thermal insulation parts since 1972 working directly with Professional Race teams. The material and technologies in the viper cover is exactly the same as what we produce for Teams like Rayhal and Fernandez. The steel shell encapsulates aerospace technology insulation materials that withstand temperatures well above 1200° F.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wouldn't thermotech(a pipe wrap) also work? Suppose to keep the heat in, but I remember somebody saying not to. Not sure why, seems like it would do the same thing.

OP
OP
N

ntmatter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I just cut out the cats and install a straight pipe, will I need to do anything to the oxygen sensor? (The same question applies to installing high-flow cats). My plan is to install the RandomTech cats from PartsRack after Viper Days is over, along with some new insulation. Jon mentioned that he's also coming out with some sort of heat shield, but suggestions that I check out Dan Cragin's new system as well. Anyway, I don't have to get smog checked where I live, and would love to just remove the cats altogether, as long as it doesn't screw with the drivability.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Andy.Get rid of the cats.You will need apex syms that you can get from JON B or of course Apex.I have no drivability problems or check engine lights at all using them.Drive hard for a few hours and place your hand on a side sill and it has a nice luke warm feeling.Your car will be much louder when you are on the gas but almost no difference at cruise and low rpm.A few vipers runing around once in a while with no cats makes as much difference to air quality as you taking a leak in the ocean.BTW my car is an 01 GTS. Bruce

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte