Cabin Fills with Smoke ala Roger Moore scene in Cannonball Run - ***?

mjguflaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This morning while driving the GTS to work, white smoke began coming out of the defrost vents beneath the windshield, much to my shock and awe. After a couple minutes it got to the point where I could barely see out the windshield and I had to roll down the windows and pull over. After popping the hood I really couldn't see anything out of order (there was nothing visibly burning anywhere). Coolant temp was ok, oil pressure was ok, and no warning lights were on the dash. There is a whitish/green film on the inside of the windshield now that I had to wipe off with a rag so I could see to get to work. The problem seems to have gone away or at least abated. The only thing I noticed out of the ordinary was that I had turned the a/c on but had the temp turned all the way to the red side (instead of blue for cool air). Don't know if that could have been the source of the problem. Anyone have this happen to them before that could shed some light on this? Thanks.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Blown heater core. You were wiping anti-freeze. Usually the smoke isn't so bad, unless you left the heat on for a while.

OP
OP
M

mjguflaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks. Assuming the heater is not on, is there any adverse effect from driving the car in this condition?

MikeV

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check your coolant level frequently, it may still leak a little, and the LAST thing you want to do is overheat.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No adverse effect I know of. I've driven cars year round with blown heater cores with no problem (except no heat!) I even had an M6 with a broken heater valve (right above the gas pedal, ouch!) and drove it until a new part was available. Like MikeV said, watch the coolant level, and temp gauge. By the way, it's gonna be expensive! You may want to look for used parts.