Cant take early Vipers into Canada?????????? ***??

happy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i found a good deal on a 94 rt/10 and heard from a source ya cant take from 92 up to 96 rt/10 into canada.. Whats the reason for this?? I took my 02 gts in no problems.. Can any one inlighten me why?? Or is there a loop hole?? Thanks guys!!

spikeone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know someone that imported a 1994 RT-10 Viper last year from Boston to Quebec

from this page CHRYSLER<BR>PLYMOUTH / DODGE / EAGLE / JEEP

seems 1995 and 1996 Vipers would be denied, no idea why.. then again, there is also the 15 yo law that makes any car legal so that would mean 1995 Vipers would be legal

best would probably be to contact RIV

eliems

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Call RIC Canada. Any car over 15 years old is admissable. Under 15 years old they need to meet air-bag standars which the pre 1996 1/2 do not. This means it looks like they are not acceptable but actually they are as they are over 15.

HTH

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i found a good deal on a 94 rt/10 and heard from a source ya cant take from 92 up to 96 rt/10 into canada.. Whats the reason for this?? I took my 02 gts in no problems.. Can any one inlighten me why?? Or is there a loop hole?? Thanks guys!!

They did sell 94 RT/10's in Canada, but if I remember correctly they had daytime running lights hooked up to the non working switch on the US version and they had something funky about the seat belts as compared to US models.

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call RIC Canada. Any car over 15 years old is admissable. Under 15 years old they need to meet air-bag standars which the pre 1996 1/2 do not. This means it looks like they are not acceptable but actually they are as they are over 15.

HTH

It's actualy more to do with the seat belts. As some (if not all?) of the pre-'97 US R/Ts had door mounted belts. There is some difference in the anchor points, at least. Since you cannot change the factory mount points on any car there is no "work around" for this. The DRL module can (at least on a GenII) easily be plugged onto exsisting US wiring harnesses, so that is easy enough. But the seat belt thing is a deal killer. Period. Too bad, too, as I'm sure there's a few attractive deals south o' the border.
My advice would be to find a GenII R/T if you're stuck on open top. If you must have side exhaust, that could be done, not cheap, but possible.

PS Where are you located?

AndyMac

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have imported a car from the US before, and looked at importing a Viper too. (found one in Canada I liked though)

So, if the viper is 15 years or older, it can be imported with no issue. Check the manufacturers date on the door sticker and make sure it is at least 15 years to the month old or older.

The 96 can be imported IF it has air bags, as some didn't. Once the 96 is 15 years old, it can be imported with or without air bags. 97 and newer are ok for import.

The seat belt thing is the difference of where the upper part is mounted. The US cars are in the door while my Canadian Viper has them mounted in the upper part of the console by the rear window. As long as it's 15 years or older, it won't matter.

So as of today, a Viper produced before or on 04/95 can be imported. So the 94 model you are looking at could be 15 years or older. Production runs, for model years, go from july to june. So you could have a 94 viper that was produced in June of 1995 that you can't import for a few months.

Always consult the RIV (registrar of imported vehicles Registrar of Imported Vehicles)

Hope this helps.

Oh, just for fun, here is a pic of my seat belts.

You must be registered for see images attach

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's actualy more to do with the seat belts. As some (if not all?) of the pre-'97 US R/Ts had door mounted belts. There is some difference in the anchor points, at least. Since you cannot change the factory mount points on any car there is no "work around" for this. The DRL module can (at least on a GenII) easily be plugged onto exsisting US wiring harnesses, so that is easy enough. But the seat belt thing is a deal killer. Period. Too bad, too, as I'm sure there's a few attractive deals south o' the border.
My advice would be to find a GenII R/T if you're stuck on open top. If you must have side exhaust, that could be done, not cheap, but possible.

PS Where are you located?

I bought my '94 from Canada and imported into the US in '98. To do so, owner had to switch seatbelts from mounted on the floor (identical to the newer airbag car locations) to the goofy in-the-door belts. However, all mounting locations (in the door, in the floor, over the shoulder, etc) were already there. In other words, '94 car + '96 and up over-the-shoulder seatbelts + DRL = Canadian car.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I heard the difference was the front bumper supports were different and too expensive to change over.

Gen 2s are OK, and not sure if you can import the 96s because half way through 96 they made the non-compliance R/T10s. Check Registrar of Imported Vehicles - but probably wait for the one you want to import until the 15 year rule applies. That saves you an inspection.

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Rear exhaust was a requirement for Europe, not Canada.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang