car cranks but no start (98 GTS)

93Cobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, I took the car out for about 20 minutes and came back home. I then tried to start the car but no go. It would crank just fine but it would not start. It felt as if the alarm was engaged or, as if the car was getting no fuel. I then though of disconecting the battery cable from under the hood and left it off for a few minutes just incase it was alarm related. It finally did start after I connected the power back but it idled like a flooded carburated car for about a sec or two. Maybe because I tried turning it over a few times??
Idled fine after that so I turned it off and on a few times just fine. I did arm and dirarm the alarm at first but that didnt work. Has something like this happened to any of you guys?

thanks

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it does it again listen for fuel pump noise when you place your key on the on possition but dont actualy start the car.

Could be a faulty fuel pump relay, or it could very well be your alarm. The OEM alarm does some weird stuff sometimes, I have had my fair share of battle with it.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
disconnecting the battery for a few minutes won't empty the alarm. here is a viper-tech trick:

- remove the wheel by the battery. remove the battery cables from the battery.

- touch the two battery cables together.

- reconnect.

- press unlock on remote control.

- start the car.

If it was alarm related, this will discharge the entire electrical system w/o hurting anything.

good luck!

Joseph

OP
OP

93Cobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, it happened again. Drove the car for a while and then parked it. I tried turning it on after an hour or so and nothing. It cranks but will not turn on. I reset the key fob and did not work. I then disconnected the positive cable under the hood again for a few minutes. Started right up. I did notice while driving that my battery light was coming on for a bit. Could it be a bad battery/alternator causing my problem?

OP
OP

93Cobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am going to replace the battery asap. Do you guys know if the Optima fits?

thanks

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96