Cat delete this weekend. Have a few questions.

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking at doing a cat delete this weekend to my 94 RT/10. I beleive at one time there has been exhaust work done on this car. I'm thinking the mufflers have been changed out. Anyways I'm going to pop the the sills off and see what I find. But have a few questions before I start.

B/c I have a 94 I don't have to worry about the 02's correct?
I have read on here somewhere that the cat can be cut open and the guts removed. Then just weld the cats back up. Is this correct? I have a welder so I can just weld it back up.
Or would it be best to just weld in a straight pipe?

Any tips?

By the way I did do a search and I am also a VCA member. They are just taking forever to process my paperwork! ha

Thanks guys and gals!

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why would you go to all of the trouble to cut open the cats, gut them, and weld them back together when a section of straight pipe is an option?

Unless you're concerned about roadside DPS "pull them sill covers I wanna see what's in there boy" stations...

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why would you go to all of the trouble to cut open the cats, gut them, and weld them back together when a section of straight pipe is an option?

Unless you're concerned about roadside DPS "pull them sill covers I wanna see what's in there boy" stations...

agreed, I would go straight pipe..

I went to DMV for the first time. Passed with flying colors, with high flows.. And the guy just could not understand how the exhaust was rear exit. But he couldnt see anything underneath the car, with his trusty mirror.:rolleyes::rolleyes:. And I'm allowing them to take the sills off??, right....

OP
OP
J

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's true. I live in east TN and they just don't give a damn! So straight pipes it is! Sunday it's going to be 54 and sunny! Perfect time to do a exhaust mod.

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Straight pipe is the way to go, consistent diameter all the way back. You'll like the sound too. Shouldn't have any O2 probs but just to be sure hook it up to the OBD II. Those things are worth their weight in gold !!! :2tu:

:usa:

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It depends on how they test. I thought I'd be golden because the 02s are upstream from the cats, but at both of the inspections I've had they actually put a sniffer in the pipe to measure emissions. I'd see who was doing yours first and find out how they test if you're worried about inspections. I have to put cats back on in April for my next inspection.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It depends on how they test. I thought I'd be golden because the 02s are upstream from the cats, but at both of the inspections I've had they actually put a sniffer in the pipe to measure emissions. I'd see who was doing yours first and find out how they test if you're worried about inspections. I have to put cats back on in April for my next inspection.

Your '93 is not old enough to be exempt and waived from emissions. Takes a car older than 24 years in Texas. I believe also that your car is OBD1. They can plug in to OBD2 cars only. But since you aren't waived on emissions you therefore get the sniffer.

OP
OP
J

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Bill, I live in Johnson City. I think it's about 1 1/2 hr from you. If you are ever in the area let me know.

Thanks guys for the help. The weather was a little colder than I thought it was going to be as my garage does no have heat! So I decided to wait a week or two. I will keep you guys posted. Might post some pics of the final setup.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine