Caught in Heavy Rain -- Impressed!

Don

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my commute home from Denver today, I watched as the heavy dark clouds rolling over the Rocky Mountains. I've witnessed this hundreds of times and luck has always appeared to be on my side. I've successfully escaped being caught in numerous storms.

Today was not my day and I found myself driving through heavy rain! As the rain became puddles in the road, I expected to slip and slide all over the road with the wide rear tires and my lead foot. To the contrary, I found that the car handled without any noticeable difference. I proceeded at my usual 80-85 mph cruising speed down the road. I am EXTREMELY impressed how well the car drove through the rain and shocked that it handled so well!

...The downside is that my car looks like I went off-roading down some dirt road!

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i use mine as a daily driver. rain is not a problem for this car. it still sticks to the ground. hell you dont even need to use your wipers at 60mph.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The earlier years gave the Viper the bad rep for rain. Mostly due to the tires. The new Michelin Pilots are fine in the rain.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
That's just what it wants you to think..then SMACK, Jon B organ donor
heh! I have had close ones in the rain before, but I am using the Mxx3 pilots which are not as good as the new pilots.

I am glad I my car didn't become an organ donor for the reeper! (Just kidding Jon!) :)

Walt McFarland

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think my purchase of the Viper two years ago affected east coast weather patterns forever. Simply said, I suspect I have driven it 4000 miles in the rain without incident. The key is not racing in the rain.

W

superdavz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have only been caught in the rain once in my Viper. I too was quite impressed at the way the car stuck to the road.

dennis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The earlier years gave the Viper the bad rep for rain. Mostly due to the tires. The new Michelin Pilots are fine in the rain.

Yeah, the XGTZ and the MXX3 were terrible in the rain. There's really a difference with the Pilots.

Wild Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's all in the tires, original tires I would hydroplane at any speed over 45 mph, new rubber solved that problem; it also solved the TDS problem (That Darty Sh*t)

Bill

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Micheln has stated that there PS2 tires a far superior in the wet than the present pilots. Time will tell.

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds really good !
Next is to try the mine in the snow.

Where can I get studded snow tires for my Viper ?

3snakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i just put on the stock mich. tires on mind . hope that was not a mistake. i been in rain had to be carfull of puddles.

OP
OP
D

Don

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3snakes: i just put on the stock mich. tires on mind . hope that was not a mistake. i been in rain had to be carfull of puddles.

I'm running stock Pilots and they performed great in the rain. They are the second set of rear tires for this vehicle due to my tendency to leave rubber on the road to fuel my inner child.

Craig 201 MPH: That's just what it wants you to think..then SMACK, Jon B organ donor

You sound optimistic Craig ;) Have you signed the back of your license lately?

andkovacs: Sounds really good !
Next is to try the mine in the snow.

Where can I get studded snow tires for my Viper ?

I can picture the sparks flying off the rear studded tires! :headbang:

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don,

I'm glad you didn't get caught with the top off. I just missed T-storm with no top on, by about 5 minutes the other night.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don,

I'm glad you didn't get caught with the top off. I just missed T-storm with no top on, by about 5 minutes the other night.

I regularly drive in the rain with the top off - not due to choice, but because it starts and I don't feel like pulling over.

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The pilots have been good for me in the rain also. I hope they are reeeealy good this weekend as I'll be tracking the car with the Porsche Club and don't want to look like a pansy with all this power under the hood but also don't want to be sill high in mud. Was planning on running the slicks on new Purner wheels but now that's out unless the forcast changes :(

OP
OP
D

Don

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Robert Dyck: Don.....I don't think you mentioned, but which one were you driving? The 95 or the 01?? Thanks.

I was driving the 01 with the hard top on. The 95 would probably leak a bit due to the snap in windows, but I have yet to experience it and hope I never have to :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc