change Gears or diff.

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I currently have a Paxton gts that has 355 gears and looking to go back to stock 307.
My tech we be doing the work so question is should I change the gears ( pinion etc ) or buy used stock diff from partsrack and go that route? Labor for gears change is 10 hrs plus cost of gears. Change for diff I think is 4 hrs plus a diff for around 6-700 not to mention I could sell the take out. So which is the better option? I know the 355 may have set the own grooves ( not sure how to refer to it) and only changing gears would leave some play or whine. Changing the entire diff would be just that and leave no play or whine.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I were looking to do a diff change, I'd probably get a whole Quaife setup. The older stock units (before Gen IV) were 'OK' but getting a bulletproof aftermarket setup would be the way to go - if it's available for your car.

If you have unlimited resources, I still think the dream setup would be to keep the stock 3.07 gear ratios and redo the fifth and sixth gears to something more usable - like .80 for fifth and .68 for sixth.