Check engine light came on after hitting redline

THEMASH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all,
The check engine light came on a few days ago, I hit the rev limiter on first gear, hit it really hard, and the light came on, drove it for a while, hoping it would go off on its own, but no such luck.
My question is, how do i turn the check engine light off? I would have taken it to the Dodge dealer, but i have the NOS system on my car, and dont want any problems.
Thanks

AJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hitting the rev limiter should not generate a ses. did you overrev going from 4th to 1th by mistake? if so you might have some internal engine damage. check the code and take it from there...

alex
02 gts
few other cars

HogWhisperer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think if it stays on that it would be a good idea for you to have your Viper Tech put his scan tool on it and read the code. I know it's a hassle to take it in but I for one would want to know what code had been set. He can clear it for you also. Disconnecting the battery will do it also but then your computer will have to go into the re-learn mode AND you still won't know what code was set.

If your car was a '98 or older, you could cycle the ignition switch several times to get it to give up the codes. That stopped in production year '99 I think.

Good luck...

Paul

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to me. None of the tricks will work. Just go to the dealer and have it reset. The computer said missfire on cyl 3. After it was cleared (one spak plug changed) it went back on but after reseting it for the second time the light is gone for good.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm no expert, but here's what I would do:

Disconnect the computer for 5-10 minutes and plug back in. The computer is located below-to-the-right of the windshield washer fluid container. You have to remove 4-5 bolts that hold the black/metal protective shell. You will then see the computer with 3 large connectors plugged it. I think you only need to disconnect the one furtherest left, but I would disconnect all three. Wait about 5-10 minutes, carefully plug back in, and no CHECK ENGINE LIGHT. IF there really is a problem, the light will reappear after some driving. The only drawback to this method is it totally resets the computer, and any stored error codes will be erased. Good Luck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery