Cleaning ACR Wheels

Steamroller

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am taking my ACR wheels off to fully clean them, specifically the back-side area where brake dust collects. I realize the front-side of the wheel is painted, but what about the back-side area? Is that area simply raw aluminum, or is it clear-coated? If it is raw aluminum, then it will be much easier to scrub clean since there will be no concern with scratching a clear coat.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am taking my ACR wheels off to fully clean them, specifically the back-side area where brake dust collects. I realize the front-side of the wheel is painted, but what about the back-side area? Is that area simply raw aluminum, or is it clear-coated? If it is raw aluminum, then it will be much easier to scrub clean since there will be no concern with scratching a clear coat.

I pulled my wheels off to clean them, and yeah, I used a plastic-bristled scrub brush, and where necessary, a scotch-brite pad and they did great. The inside of the barrel is not painted if I recall correctly.

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cleaned mine yesterday (see my post "I thought you guy were nuts") and used some Meguiars spray on wheel cleaner and a plastic bristled brush. The Meguiars stuff worked great and ate right through the sludge, and it was really bad. The bottle said not to use it on powder-coated wheels, which mine are, but I tried it anyway and it worked great. Coated them inside and out with a thick coat of Zaino afterwards.

Stephen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Guy's, there is a clear inside out, any good wheel cleaner will do the job, I also use Meguiars. It is a good idea to clean your wheels once a year, the longer you wait the more dirt... You might also have grease dub ( left over grease from the tie rods ) for that I used wax and grease remover ( Prime Wipe ) this stuff is use in body shop and it is safe on all painted sufaces . * important* Some cleaner will affect the glue holding the balancing weight inside your wheels, check them and make sure they are well bonded.

Stephen

OP
OP
S

Steamroller

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It sounds like there may or may not be a clear-coat on the back-side area of the wheels. Is there a way to know for sure?

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It sounds like there may or may not be a clear-coat on the back-side area of the wheels. Is there a way to know for sure?

If it's shiny and smooth when you run your finger over it (a clean spot) then its probably cleared, possibly just polished. I doubt if the inside would be polished but, it you wipe off a spot down to the shiny surface, then rub it a little with a mild compound on a cloth, a polished wheel will leave a little black on the cloth and the cleared one won't.

Stephen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
'' then rub it a little with a mild compound on a cloth, a polished wheel will leave a little black on the cloth and the cleared one won't ''.

Steamroller, as said by Freddog11 this is the way to find out, mine are cleared coated inside.

Last edited:

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The wheels have the same finish inside and out. Do NOT use a scotch brite pad or any abrasive product. The best way to clean the inside is with soap and water or a diluted simple green soultion on cool wheels. Do not let simple green sit on the wheels. There will be plenty of black spots and burnt grease marks left over. Protect the rubber and spray a heavy dose of WD-40 on a rag and soak those stubborn spots. The spots will eventually all come out. After they are clean, wash them with soap and water again. Then apply two coats of wax, the wax will help remove any final marks. I pull my wheels off the car and wax about every other month. If youv'e never cleaned the inside of your wheels before, expect to spend about four hours + on them. Do not short cut with abrasive products, you will ruin the finish and eventually allow the brake dust to eat your wheels up.

OP
OP
S

Steamroller

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone... Thanks for the input. Hopefully, everything turns out great!

Mccarlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4