Close call

MtHam ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A buddy at work was inquiring about the car today, "so lets go for a ride" I say. "Oh, man, can we?"

So we go out to the parking lot and pop the hood and we're looking and pointing and talking. The guy is like 25 and he's stoked, "my roommates are going to be sooo jealous. . ."

A bunch of guys come and gather round; another guy with a 01 996TT comes by and starts talking about his car and how they can make another 150 HP for like $17 grand. I kinda had to laugh, for 17-large I think you could add about 200RWHP to the Viper. So we get into this ******* contest that finally ends by my car providing about the same performance, but costing a lot less, so I win -- we call that 'bang-for-the-buck'
supergrin.gif

Anyway, the crowd subsides and I take the original guy for a ride -- I'm going to show him my favorite 2 mi closed-course that explores the limits of acceleration, braking and handling in about that order.

So we go down to the end of the street and I jump on the expressway, pass a car, wind it up in first, lay a big scratch grabbing second and another grabbing 3rd. I just shift into forth and decide I need to back off and take the next offramp which has some traffic backing up. ******* the binders, under the overpass and low and behold, just as I'm re-entering the legal speed range a nice stealthy plain vanillia (full white) crown vic CHP is parked on the other side of the underpass. Never seen them park THERE before. I cruised by at the posted speed limit, but have to say the heart was a-pounding.

We proceeded through the rest of the course in a spirited but much less agressive pace. He still had a good time and was very impressed with the car (and my eye sight). I hate to even think about going by that CHP at 2.5X the posted limit.

but I do just love owning a Viper.

(Gavin, do you think "chasing a lose sheep" is an acceptable CHP excuse?)

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MtHam ACR:
CHP is parked on the other side of the underpass.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hard at work arresting terrorist, murderers, ******, and thieves so the rest of us can live in relative safety? Or was he just looking for speeders?

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man! I know the feeling. I bet your hands were gripping the steering wheel and your eyes were glued to the rear view mirror as you passed him.

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Slaughterj's idea is rather good, but not quite there.

Eric, introduce the CHP to one of your "Lambs" - this will divert CHP's attention quite nicely.

This will also lighten the load in your trunk and help prevent those wheels from rubbing!!!!
bounce.gif
bounce.gif
bounce.gif

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck 98 RT/10:
Hard at work arresting terrorist, murderers, ******, and thieves so the rest of us can live in relative safety? Or was he just looking for speeders?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably out looking for White Broncos. Seems to be a corrilation between murders and these trucks...

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got seen going about 120+ on the freeway. He was coming the other way and had no way to get to me except a two mile round trip after exiting(barricade in the middle of the road). I was test driving an Fbody. I pulled the car back to where I work and parked it in the back. I told the salesman who had just delievered the car, that he might wait a few minutes before leaving.

I think everyone on this board knows exactly how you feel.

Not wanting to hijack this thread, but my question, is how much does having a passenger in a Viper change the handling characteristics? Sometimes you'll have this great route that you know by heart, and you take a passenger with you it changes the dynamics of the car enough to make it a little unstable.