Cloudy headlight Lens - SOLVED

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just like many of those on this board, the lenses on my car were checkered and turning yellow. This is the result of the UV protective coating breaking down, in effect the protection is the issue.

I thought I had it solved with a die grinder, a string buff wheel and plastic buffing compound. The problem is the UV coating actually hardens when you try to remove it. The harder I tried to remove it the slower the process became.

I changed the approach and used 400 grit sand paper and wet sanded the lens. It was almost too easy. In no more than five minutes you can remove the UV coating. The water actually marks the area that needs sanding. The appearance of an area free of the UV coating can easily be seem after you wipe the surface dry.

The next step is to use a string type buffing wheel and plastic buffing compound. I bought it thru Eastwood's Automotive on the internet. It probably took about 30-45 minutes to bring back the lens to an almost new condition. It is probably a good idea to mask off the area below the lens.

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used Simachrome on the lenses of my daughter's car after years and years of UV exposure.

txlen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a nguy comes by here at work and does kinda the same thing...sands it first then sprays on a a chemical....kinda smells like ammonia then rinses it off the sprays it with clear....looks really good after he's done!!...