Clutch Switch

OutThere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the switch that allows the car to start after engaging the clutch changed a few months ago and it seems to be broken again. I have to nearly push the clutch through the floor to get it to start and it almost wouldn't start the other day.

Anyone know what else it may be? Something need adjusting?

I really don't feel like dealing with the dealer again....

Thanks.

Birvini

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently had problems starting the 94 due to the same problem. I spoke with Dave at Roanoke Motors and he told me to jump the wires leading from the switch. He said the switch doesn't like moisture or dirt and is prone to failure.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 96 Rt had a similar problem when I purchased. I fixed it by cutting a piece of 1/2 inch heater hose to approximate a 1/3 inch length... then cut a slit in one side.

The problem with my switch was it needed to be held up off the floor. So, I lifted the switch... and slipped the piece of heater hose under the the switch and around the clutch actuation rod (between the floor and the bottom of the switch).

The switch needed to be elevated, but not too much... I still wanted the full function of the switch. So you may have to play with it to determine how long the piece of heater hose should be cut.

I have not had a problem since.. and that's been 4 months of everyday driving.

Lance

OP
OP
O

OutThere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there any way to defeat this stupid switch? I am fairly confident is my ability to not start the car while it is in gear.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't you just put the two wires together. This should make it a hot connection and would allow you to start without clutch engagement. Not that you would want to, but it would defeat the switch.

Mike

OP
OP
O

OutThere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, it's going back in this Sat to the dealer who "fixed it" last time (for $214!!). You were right, they will not defeat the switch so I hope they will at least make it work (before I figure out *********** it myself).

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Safety switch is a good thing to have, just ask my ol man. He had an 84 Ferrari that his girlfriend almost drove into the pool after she ran it through the garage wall LOL.
It wasn't funny then, but we laugh about it now.
She was horsing around and didn't know that it didn't have a safety switch when she jumped into the drivers seat with the keys.

BruceW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or wire it to a toggle switch hidden under the dash and you've got a little extra theft security

OP
OP
O

OutThere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ummmm.... I had the floor-mat wedged under the clutch and it was blocking the switch. Yeah, you don't want me working on your Viper.

I still want to kill the stupid switch though.

Thanks for the help.

JetMec

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OutThere I've done the same thing. freaked out when it wouldn't start, knew it had to be the switch, slammed the clutch to the floor and it started, put 2 & 2 together before I went to see the tech. Darn floor mats!

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Also, there's a little plastic grommet that holds the rod to the clutch pedal shaft. When this grommet becomes worn, it increases the "play" in the actuation rod limiting its travel and thus, not allowing the switch to fully close.

Try wiggling the clutch rod and check for excessive play. If so, replace the plastic grommet (see service manual or shoot me and email for the part number).