compliments

anunakki

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i havent noticed this thread in the time I've been on the boards .

What do you say when someone pull up beside you and starts gushing all over your car BUT he/she is driving something not so exotic..say a mustang or corvette...usually stock.

Do you say nice car back to them? I'm worried I might sound patronizing if I do yet if I dont am I a snob?

these are the types of questions that kept me out of the really good schools...

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I say: "Thanks, it took me ten years to get it"

Then they realize two things-
1. I'm not a stuck up Rockefeller
2. They too can work for their goals

I don't mention their heap- They already know what it is, or is not.

BTW, how is the art business coming along these days? Hope you are doing well.

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice Vic! I too say something along those lines and most people really dig that. It's the truth after all.

If the comments are hostile in nature, I say "Man, I don't even speak English."

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's simple, if someone gives you a compliment you say "Thank You".

Like Vic, I often add to it something like "It's my dream car".

I know it's only an old ****** Gen 1 but they usually don't.

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I usually just respond with "thanks buddy!", or somesuch.

I often get people who point to their ****** cars and say "hey, wanna trade?" to which I respond with the stock "sure, but you gotta trade payments as well!", they usually laugh at that one good-naturedly.

I've only ever gotten one negative comment about my car, it was from a middle aged guy who walked by, scoffed, and said "I guess some people just have all the luck." I didn't say anything back, but would have loved to have a conversation with him comparing how many hours a week HE works with how many hours a week I work, the years that I busted my ass in school, etc.

TRAMP 13

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I usually tell them that I used to have one those too ,nice car and then I ask them if they would like to race but they would have to give me a couple of car length for a head start and usually would laugh and that was the end and everthing turn out alright.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they have a nice Mustang or Vette or whatever I say "Thanks" and tell them it looks like they're doing ok too.

In the very rare occasion that someone might say "Vipers ****" I say "Damm, I'm stuck with two of them." Or sometimes I just wave and say "Thank you" as if I didn't quite hear them.

Always with a smile.

OP
OP
A

anunakki

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL.. I hope I didnt come across as if I didnt say thanks.. I jdefinately do..as a matter of fact Im somewhat embarased by all the compliments.

I recently had a guy in a some Mercedes stop me to talk about the car and then he pointed out his mercedes was some special whatchamacallit ( NOT a mercedes guy here) and I said it was nice but I dont think that was enough for him. LOL

Hey Vic... toy biz is going well. Been incredibly busy back and forth to China.. Ive been with the VCA for almost a year now and havent been able to make a single event because of it.. damn new businesses

How are things on your end?

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Wow, thats sounds great! Good for you, I'm glad to hear it.

We've been selling a ton of elevators! Starting to hire again. But this time, we're lean and mean! Getting more done with less, improving the bottom line. Gonna add another salesman this week.

If you really don't want the attention, drive a F150 p/u to work, and fade into the mass of commuting humanity, in utter obscurity. Thats my daily driver, to the construction sites. I look like just another working stiff, and nobody pays me no mind.

I only get to drive the Viper on weekends. :(

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just thought i'd share this story.

A few weeks ago we were having dinner at a popular restaraunt around here. As the parking lot was mostly full, I parked all the way in back as usual to avoid dings, unwanted attention, etc. However, as I was walking thru the parking lot, two middle-aged guys were getting into the Benz in the very frontmost spot, which would have been ideal due to being visible from inside the place.

I yelled to them just to confirm that they were leaving, and asked them to wait for me to drive over, as I wanted their spot. They were nice and said sure. However, as I was walking away, I heard one of them say to the other, "heh, kid probably thinks he has a nice car."

The looks of awe on their faces when the Viper pulled up was utterly priceless. Biggest compliment I've ever gotten without the other party knowing it. :)

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The compliment you don't have to respond to are when kids on the side of the street start bowing, or when a neighbor almost falls off a ladder.

There was the one time Lee was driving. We were coming back from Heffner's shop last year. A 4 to 6 year old yells from the backseat of a minivan, "Viper!" lol We looked over and the mother in the pass. seat said, "that's a beautiful car." Lee said, "Your son there can get one, just tell him to get a good education." haha One of the greatest experiences I've ever had in any Viper! Still puts a stupid grin on my face like when pulling from 40-110.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean, that was one of those "Viper moments at a stoplight." One of the things I remembered about that time was the Mom turning around to the back seat and saying...."See what he said, listen to the man" Kind of a "Malcom in the middle" moment. But the point was, she was sooo happy two guys in a Viper made that point to her kid. She said, "thank you so much for telling him that."

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had a silent compliment last night that was pretty cool.

Coming back in from a quick Sunday drive - come to a 4 way stop near the house. A father and son (I'd guess about 10 years old) are out biking and wait for me to stop first before heading across the street.

The father takes off first and his son follows...but stops right in front of us, feet flat on the ground, jaw dropped - completely transfixed and staring at the Viper. His dad and I kinda laugh at each other and he calls to his son who has completely zoned out.

My wife finally waves hello to him and he gets off the bike and walks it across the street where his dad is waiting - the kids head GLUED to the Viper the entire time. He coulda walked right over broken glass and never would have noticed.

The look on this kid's face was really cool - something I haven't seen or felt since I was a kid myself when I saw my first Countach in person.

It was a look of pure and utter SHOCK.

It was a look of "wh...wha....but..but that's NOT a real car...it CAN'T be! I have that toy in my bedroom!!!"

The poor kid actually looked scared out of his wits!

You could see the impression of another young car nut being made right then and there...and if I can help to corrupt kids and turn them into die hard "She will be mine...oh yes, she will be mine" car nuts then the Viper is the ulitimate motivator. :)

OLXRAM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Best one I ever had.....A girlfriend of mine was babysitting for some neighbors and the boy (about 10yrs old) had the Burago 96GTS model,posters,couple snaptites and some viper picture books. All this kid talked about was the 96 GTS bl/wht striped car. He had never seen one in person so she cslled me up and i pulled up in his driveway and the kid lost it......It was hilarious. This kid sounded like he owned one..He was telling me the HP,Torque,How many were made,trans type...I was crackin up. So I took him for a ride and he about died. We came back and he told me thank you about a billion times and the next day my girlfriend came over and he had drawn a picture of my car with "Thank you" written on the top.

Walt McFarland

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great thread. It's amazing how much good karma we can put out there by being gracious. Cool.

My best story yet occurred when a gentleman approached me, admired the car, extended his hand and said: "you're living my dream." Makes you think...

BarbaraAnn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was gassing up at a station in New Mexico this summer when some kids pulled up in a Charger they were obviously very proud of. It sounded like they had worked on it a lot! "I like your car!" the driver said. "I like yours, too!" I responded. The kid just beamed. As I was driving out of town, they pulled up beside me and vroom-vroomed for my benefit, so we had a little drag race. About a half-mile down the road, I just sorta dropped back and let them go on ahead. Can't you just hear them telling their friends how they out-ran a Viper?

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
since I was a kid myself when I saw my first Countach in person.
You were "a kid" when you saw your first Countach?
Gawd, I'm getting old.

[/QUOTE]
I've never seen a Lamborghini in person. I guess that makes me too young at 19?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
since I was a kid myself when I saw my first Countach in person.
You were "a kid" when you saw your first Countach?
Gawd, I'm getting old.
I've never seen a Lamborghini in person. I guess that makes me too young at 19?

[/QUOTE]

If you ever say you were a still kid when you saw your first post Murcialago Lambo then I'll be REALLY old.

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
True story here. I am cruising down Woodward Avenue in Detroit a few days before the actual Woodward Dream Cruise a few weeks ago. I'm in my 96 Viper GTS with my girlfriend in the passenger seat. Anyways, I'm not paying much attention and I look to my left to see this attractive woman sitting in the passenger seat of another car and she is pointing at my car and saying nice car to me. And I said thanks. Then I didn't notice until the car had passed that it was a new red SRT-10 Viper. Oooops. I don't know if I didn't notice because the woman was attractive or if I just had my head up my asp. But it was too late to say nice car back because her and her husband (I presume) had already passed by.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21