Creating a list to send to Santa--Need advice on some aftermarket parts

MR. BAD ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have never really owned a car worth modifying. I did own a 97 Vette, but while driving out of the dealer after I purchased it I saw a blue with white stripes GTS and figured what was the point. :eek:

Anyways, I now have my dream car and would like to customize it. It is a totally stock Final Edition GTS. I got it a few months ago brand new with only 7 miles on the ODO.

The areas I which to improve on are:

exhuast
headers
cats
air intake

In terms of exhaust, I am going with Corsas. I love the way they look and like the idea of reducing interior resonance.

In terms of headers, I honestly don't know. I know Belanger, Archer, and B&B all make some qaulity sets, but I am not sure which is the best. Alot people on here seem to use the Belangers. I also heard that the Belangers are not stainless and they can rust. Some advice in terms of the quality brand and the differences of sizes would help alot.

In terms of cats, the PartsRack ceramic high-flow cats from what I have seen seem to be the best. Any other options here?

Finally, this brings me to an air induction system. I really would rather have a Paxton supercharger, but already this list is getting well over $3000. The boss is not pleased as it is, so there is little chance she will approve of the supercharger.

At first, I was quite content with the K&N Carbon Fiber Induction Box:

[image]http://store1.yimg.com/I/hopup1_1821_115690780[/image]

But, after seeing an ad in the Viper Magazine of the Vararam Induction System, I am now indecisive:

You must be registered for see images

Has anyone used any of these induction systems? I also seen an ad on the VIPAIR as well. Do these system work? If so, which is the most effective?

Also, can a local Dodge Dealer perform all the mods without voiding the warranty?

Thanks for your advice and help. Happy Thanksgiving :usa: :2tu:

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I could be wrong but I really doubt that this air box will add 30HP.
It had been said many times on this board that the hood duct in not located at a high pressure zone,so I really doubt that you will get 30hp worth of ram effect.
Furthermore,to test the idea you could seal the duct to the original airbox for a few dollars worth of tape and foam and have about the same result.
Do they show an before and after dyno graph?

Luc.00GTS

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you can do a VEC1 used for around $200 and will give you an easy 10-15 RWHP on dyno. i was able to get 40rwhp out of it with my mods. K&N filters, maybe a cat back exhaust for around $1k?

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mr. BA,

IMHO, save your money on the air induction stuff. Get an extra set of K&N or S&B filters and a cleaning/oiling kit. Keep a fresh pair ready to go and swap them every 3,000 when you change your oil. The headers probably won't get you much more HP given no mods to the engine. Keep the highflow cats and catback on the list. Add 3.55 rear end and speedo calibration box, skip shift eliminator, B&M shifter and MGW stuff to the list. Also try to get a Skip Barber school or Viperdays as a stocking stuffer. Oh yeah, one more thing, Steppenwolf Magic Carpet Ride CD.

Good luck! :2tu:

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Leave your exhaust alone, as with a '02 you will NOT pick up the power that the earlier Gen IIs pick up.

Take that $3000, and get a blower on that GTS! That will get your Exhuast flowing more without having to open it up! :p