CROSS OVER PIPE

CAVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just installed the Belanger exhaust system and its kind of loud. The shop that installed it suggested a cross over tube possibly made from rectangular tube for clearance. He said it would make it quieter by about 20% and make it sound better. Has anyone tried this?

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a buddy who has a loud exhaust of some kind on his C4 Vette. He bought it with the system already on it. The guy told him that a crossover was added for just that reason. I don't know what it sounded like before the crossover but it is now very loud and it drones inside. If it's 20% quieter than it was, it must have sounded like WW2 before.
By the way, what do they mean by 20% quieter anyway? Where do they get that number?

Warren S

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Would be interesting how it would sound. There was a guy with a red Daytona Charger with a Viper motor out here in L.A. last fall fling event. He did his own custom exhaust with a cross-over pipe. I've heard the car. It's deeper sounding, almost V8-ish. CAVIPER: I have an mpeg file, PM me and I'll send it to you if you like to hear it.

Warren.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
It's good you are asking questions here. The Belanger exhaust already has a crossover pipe for rear exhaust Vipers, but it is in the rear assembly, near the diff.

If you want a crossover pipe on a side pipe car, well good luck. The whole trick with them is to keep them short and even using a rectangular one for clearance might not do what you want.

Of course one guy made up an interesting crossover for his Gen 1
Viper. I can't see how it would help either sound or power but 2 each his own....
65HUGE_H_PIPE.jpg

Also, The new SRT-10 went with a new approach to a crossover and it sounds pretty good. (No, that is NOT what is shown above) Don't know how that design would work with a Gen 1 or Gen 2 though. Ask your fabricator?
http://vca1.viperclub.org/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000401.html#7
http://vca1.viperclub.org/ubb/Forum14/HTML/011931.html#6

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CAVIPER:
I just installed the Belanger exhaust system and its kind of loud. The shop that installed it suggested a cross over tube possibly made from rectangular tube for clearance. He said it would make it quieter by about 20% and make it sound better. Has anyone tried this?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32