Custom interior and audio build thread! 1998 GTS

ksgts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well it is time to get out the knife and get to work. We are beginning the build on my car this week. My Viper is a 1998 GTS, with just some minor mods, but the one thing that I think the GTS lacks is a top of the line interior and electronics. We plan on doing custom designed seats, door panels, dash, over head console with headliner, and steering wheel. We are installing a double din Pioneer AVIC-Z150BH, Rockford Fosgate 1000watt 4 channel, Rockford Fosgate 1000watt mono block, Rockford Fosgate 12" slimline subs, Rockford Fosgate T2 component speakers, and Rockford Fosgate T series 6 1/2 for the rear. We are also installing a Viper Alarm system with electronic hatch release, which will also include a permantly installed button in the car in the over head console. I am also adding seats heaters (just gets pretty cool here in the winter). Anyways there will be other things too just thought I go into the larger items. Pics will be coming through out the build. Stay tuned!!!!

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best of luck with the project! We have a lot of the same mods in mind! I am having a full custom interior built by one of the best new interior shops in Oklahoma (and the nation)! My car is currently at a body shop so it won't be finished until next year.

I already have a double din installed and the electric hatch via a push button in the center console. A heat and ac kit for the seats and a whole lot of other little things that most people will over look.

Keep us updated with pics!!! :headbang:

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looking forward to updates and most important, the pics. Good luck with the build up.

OP
OP
K

ksgts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'll post a large update tonight, should have the car completely striped. The car came apart surprisingly fast.

OP
OP
K

ksgts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here ya go just about gutted.
You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
K

ksgts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looking fwd to see d pics. What are you doing to the dash cover?

We haven't quite come up with the exact game plan on the main part of the dash yet, we have a couple of ideas, though I dont know yet if I want it in leather or suede. Though the colors will be black and blue for sure, and maybe some silver but again nothing set in stone yet.

Also we are dyno matting the whole car, and doing some lighting upgrades.

OP
OP
K

ksgts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just thought I'd let you guys know on back lighting what all the bulbs were.
Gauges- 5, 74 bulbs
3, 194 bulbs
AC panel- 2, 194 bulbs
Ign key- 1, 74 bulb
headlight switch- 1, BA7S-X
Dome 2, 194
the dimmer and window switches look to be 3mm LED's so they have to be sautered in.

All the bulbs are available at superbrightleds.com

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you post some up close pictures of the center rear panel stack, where the speakers were between the seats and the door area where the mid and tweeter were. The last one would be behind the plastic. I am putting a stereo solution together for my Viper but needed to see the area in the door between mid and tweeter as well as center stack area to confirm my thoughts.Thanks and anxiously awaiting your progress shots.

OP
OP
K

ksgts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can you post some up close pictures of the center rear panel stack, where the speakers were between the seats and the door area where the mid and tweeter were. The last one would be behind the plastic. I am putting a stereo solution together for my Viper but needed to see the area in the door between mid and tweeter as well as center stack area to confirm my thoughts.Thanks and anxiously awaiting your progress shots.

I dont have the center stack speakers because mine is a GTS, the speakers are in the trunk. Though I can get pictures of the doors without the plastic tomorrow for ya.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greatly appreciated! Sorry I spaced out on the center stack speakers not being there on the GTS? Long day, I guess!

OP
OP
K

ksgts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So i order this switch panel today. Going to be pretty sweet blue LED back lit the buttons are going to be seat heater, door unlock, defrost, trunk release, seater heater (passenger), interior lighting. We are building a custom over head console that will hold this panel and the 2 original dome lights, with LED upgrades of course. The only switches that will be left on the center console are the window switches.

KDR83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you dont play around...i thought me buying about 20 things since my purchase was a lot but I got nothing on you! lol

OP
OP
K

ksgts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hit a snag with the LED's. The headlight switch is reversed polarization compared to regular BA7S light bulbs. So the ground is the point and surround is positive. We are currently looking for a solution. If anyone has an ideas please speak up.

OP
OP
K

ksgts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well It looks like I got the problem figured out. The nice thing about the switch is that the lighting circuit is completly separate circuit. So by changing the input/output wiring I can get the polarization reversed to get the LED to work. As you can see in the picture below pin 9 is the input, which is 12+. The output for the ground is pin 7, which is 12-. So by reversing the wiring on these two pins it flips the polarity and the BA7S LED bulb will work.

This is a picture of the window switch and dimmer switch taken apart. As you can see there are small LED's that are sautered, these are being replaced with blue 3mm LED's. I believe that you can now completely upgrade your dash with LED's!!!

OP
OP
K

ksgts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well sorry the updates haven't been very big, but things will be really getting going this next week. The shop has been super busy. Got the rest of the interior pulled and began dyno matting the car. Also they have been working on getting the double din mounted, and moving the climate controls. Also decided to get my tail lights tinted, just got those back and they look amazing.

OP
OP
K

ksgts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Little behind on the updates, the shop has been super busy and havent been able to get a lot done. Though here is a picture of the radio bezel before any fiberglass is laid. It took quite some time to get the radio and AC controls to be perfectly square. We had to put some of the trim and the dash back into the car to get everything lined up correctly. Over the next 2 weeks there will be some radical changed coming. Also here is a picture with no tail lights, and the tinted tail lights back from paint.

OP
OP
K

ksgts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks the paint shop did an awesome job. Can't wait to get them in. Speaking of which they have some painting to do on the inside of the car too. CAn't wait for you guys to see what we came up with.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235