Dakota rim as a spare tire???

1fastviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need a spare tire or something now because i do not have the run flats anymore.I did some research and found that the dakota rim has the same bolt pattern as a viper.The dakota rim is only a 15.would it at lest fit the front the viper just to get me home? Its a 2003 viper.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I doubt it would clear the caliper and the anchor would take up all your trunk space(if it even fits)

Simply keep a small aircompressor & plug kit in your trunk:2tu:

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make sure you have towing on your insurance. You don't want to be changing a tire on the side of the road with all the idiots out there anyways! Keep good tires (most viper owner's do) and you most likely will not have a problem. I have NO spare in my GTS (I keep it at home) and we pulled the run-craps of my wifes MINI because they were junk. And NO that Dakota wheel won't fit.

latamud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You'll have to carry a jack everywhere too. Do you really want a jack and spare tire bouncing around in the trunk everywhere you go? I have a tire plug kit, a bottle of Slime and a small compressor that plugs into the cigarette lighter. It all fits into a small bag. If that doesn't work I have 24 HR towing through my auto insurance policy for an extra $5.

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have NO spare in my GTS (I keep it at home) and we pulled the run-craps of my wifes MINI because they were junk. And NO that Dakota wheel won't fit.

May want to put it back in even if you never use it, its there also to absorb a rear end collision and reduce the chances of the car hitting you crushing your hatch area and squishing you into the steering wheel

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
May want to put it back in even if you never use it, its there also to absorb a rear end collision and reduce the chances of the car hitting you crushing your hatch area and squishing you into the steering wheel

It would only make sense that the Viper was crash tested with the spare tire in it as all OEM's do. This does not necessarily mean that the crash test would fail without it.

Have you looked under your viper? We've basically got a Truck frame under there. The crumple zone is the Other car :)

EDIT: (found this tidbit on RT/10's)
This one is perhaps the most detailed/factual, from Jon B a while back.

FWIW

If you have a roll bar or cage, no worry. HOWEVER

Some history: When Vipers were first crash-tested by Fed mandate, it was discovered that the RT/10 TRUNK LID can dislodge in a rear crash. If the spare is not in the trunk, the trunk lid can intrude into the cockpit thru the rear window. The rear sport hoop acts as a blade-guide and the trunklid edge becomes a guillotene. The INFLATED Spare Tire, if BOLTED IN, becomes a great shock-absorber and rear tub stiffener and prevents the decklid from moving forward and therefore prevents head loss.

Team Viper members attending the FIRST EVER VIPER NATIONALS DRAG RACES in TX in 1995 pointed this out to the the TECH INSPECTOR there, and spares have been madated in RT/10s ever since. I am fairly certain that tech inspector was the same guy who informed SKIP THOMAS at VIPER DAYS. That tech inspector was me. At the fisrt VOI-sanctioned drags {VOI-4 Orlando} we required Spares in RT10s only.

If you have a ROLL BAR in the car, this prevents the trunk intrusion, so the spare was less important, but still a functional rear-crash safety device preventing more serious frame collapse. So VRL maintained the requirement in non-roll-cage cars, even tho federal REAR CRASH DATA on GTSs was not as forboding results as RT/10.

I think the SRT Spare tie-down is to prevent its mounting-point ejection, not to make it a structural component; But if it stays in place it certainly helps absorb impact. SRT10 frames are carry-over to 2008, and there is NO SPARE in the 08. I am curious about any crash-test results and steps taken for 08.

Support our supporting vendors! Click here to send JonB - PartsRack a private message or inquiry

Sure that sounds scary, but Realisticaly... Of the HUNDREDS of Viper Rear collisions, How many people have been guillotened? My guess: 0

Last edited:

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took my spare tire out within 2 months after I got the car originally. Who would ever drive a Viper with a spare on it? That would be ridiculous, just get AAA. I've used them twice already and it worked out perfectly. Besides, I have a custom sub box built that's the same size of my spare, and that serves a MUCH greater purpose than the spare ever would. :2tu:

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First thing I did with my new car last week was ditch the spare and add this. Now no more tire, jack, etc adding weight in the back.

You must be registered for see images attach

http://www.amazon.com/Slime-Powersp...TF8&coliid=I33M2TNFFDCGAX&colid=23FUQ1R9MRG3S

that is a nice kit, here is one similar (similar also to the oem one i think), but more self contained:

http://www.buy.com/prod/slime-safet.../loc/68687/listingid/144220417/221973241.html

You must be registered for see images

FREE SHIPPING *Some restrictions apply..
List Price: $99.99
You Save: (65%) $65.00
Price$34.99
Shipping: FREE
Total Price:$34.99

Last edited:

03DakStampede

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your really wanted a dakota wheel as a spare you would need a 17" or larger r/t wheel with a spacer to clear the caliper on your car. Even still I wouldnt use one they weigh 70lbs with a stock tire.

challengerta

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've often wondered the same thing. first gen Durangos came with 16x8 rims. Durango r/t came with 17s.

Would either of these work as a "winter wheel" or even as a "roll around set" when your viper wheels were off getting polished, repaired, or new tires mounted?

I'm thinking gen 1 or 2?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude