Dash paint ?

pony23

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a spot on the dash that looks like the paint started rubbing off. Might have been from the cord of the old owners radar detector. It is on the piece that comes from the console and wraps around to the guage surround. It seems a little rubbery and has a texture to it. Is there a paint out there to touch it up? Anyone else deal with this area before? Should I just strip it down and paint it with a textured flat black paint? I don't want to do this area in a different color, I like it black.

You must be registered for see images attach

CaptainDavid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I would try a water based flat black on an inconspicuous area first, apply with small sponge or sponge brush. Since its water based you can wash it off before it dries. if it matches the test area then apply to mark on dash. good luck

TheOldViperMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I'd run the car over to a reputable body/upholstery shop.
The pros deal with this stuff all the time.
It will be cheaper to let them fix it that taking it to them after you realize it's getting worse - LOL
But that's just me.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's some sort of textured soft-touch coating, and it isn't very durable. It can be pulled and re-coated, but it isn't the most fun piece to wrestle out of the car. Doable, but not fun.

OP
OP
P

pony23

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like it will be a good winter project for me. I'll pull it out and see what I can find for a coating. Maybe a textured flat black paint will be ok. I will do some test samples and see what I can find.

Last edited:

1bad540

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sem has a very nice texture coat, that with there low luster clear should be perfect.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I painted my entire dash to match the exterior, in my case black. I do however have my original dash if you would like? As seen the light of day in 7 years and in perfect condition. I will let it go for 150 plus shipping.

viperprowler1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a similar issue in the car I just bought in the same place on the surround. I wondered what the cause was and you may be correct.
I have a spot on the dash that looks like the paint started rubbing off. Might have been from the cord of the old owners radar detector. It is on the piece that comes from the console and wraps around to the guage surround. It seems a little rubbery and has a texture to it. Is there a paint out there to touch it up? Anyone else deal with this area before? Should I just strip it down and paint it with a textured flat black paint? I don't want to do this area in a different color, I like it black.

Attachments

• DSC02319.jpg
    DSC02319.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 22

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper