Differential Problems ,,,ADVICE NEEDED

cash84

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Gotvenom08 and I are doing the complete fluid change on my 06 Coupe. We got to the differential and drain the right side and I wanted to just take out both just to be sure. The left side is where all the broken pieces came out. I saw many chunks fall out of the diff. I believe this is not normal. All steel except one chunk is alum. It does have 43k miles. I have done about 7 track days with this. What direction should I go to be safe? I'm going to fill with new fluid just to drive it home 10miles. Thanks for your input and we will check frequently while we do other changes.

Jeff

F8L SNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know specifically where the chunks came from but it is not normal. I don't see that driving it home 10 miles will be a bad idea but I do think you will need to have the differential opened up and inspected. Most likely a rebuild. The aluminum is most likely something that got between the gear and the diff housing and gouged the housing. This isn't major but I can't think of any moving parts internally that are aluminum.

Maybe someone else with be able to shed more light if there is aluminum but I am pretty sure there isn't.

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a stock 2006 diff with 9k miles for sale...complete drop in unit. PM me if interested.

Considering NO METAL is supposed to be in the fluid, I'd say not good :(

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte