Dodge copies one of my products on the new Viper?..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I did a double take when I saw page 7 of the May Road & Track Magazine where there was a picture of the 2003 RT/10. I thought "hey, that looks like one of my duct kits under the nose of the new car". On page 62 I saw it. Sure enough, they did it.

I thought something like this might happen. About 10 months ago I received a phone call from DC Corp asking about my duct kit. They said they wanted to buy one and were going to send a car here for us to install it. I told them it wasn't "that" difficult and they could do it themselves. They wanted to go test it at their Arizona proving grounds and run it through some hot climate and high speed testing. They also talked about putting it in the Mopar catalog. Afterward, they didn't call back. I know the design works, so I thought it was kind of strange that they didn't pursue it. I had shown John Fernandez the duct kit we had put together on our World Challenge Viper in November '99 and we talked at length about the aerodynamics at the front of the car.

I'm kind of flattered they did it, or are at least testing it on 2003 prototypes. But, I guess that's one product we won't have for 2003's
You must be registered for see images

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And depending on the facts of the situation, they may have violated your intellectual property rights...

Slaughter, Esq.

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The sincerest form of flattery.

Kind of like including bleeder valves in custom silicone radiator hoses. An excellent idea, if I do say so myself. What do you bet the high points in the '03 RT/10 have some kind of air bleed built in?

Keith

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A Sincere form of Flattery? COngradulations? pffft!

Dodge Stealing a desgin and not crediting the maker of such? Sean , did you have the design patented? Imagine if you did ($)?
IF I would have invented something like that for my business and saw a major auto Co. steal it for their new car, I'd be VERY upset.

Gerald

SCS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doesn't seem right at all...

If they copied your work you should be compensated for it...

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean, How long have you had the duct kit commercially available? As the inventor and owner of several patents I know that if a product has been commercially available for over 1 year it is no longer patentable, so parts of this discussion may be moot.

However you should indeed be proud that DC thought enough of your design to include it on the '03. VERY strong endorsement. I have yet to see your kit available through Mopar performance, and maybe it never will be. I've always found that the first to market with the service and knowledge will get the business. Way to go!! Better build your inventory as the orders will be flowin' in!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My question is somewhat related - What are the stipulations on patent for a slogan? Like when Pat Riley patented "3Peat?" Anybody know?

Congrats Sean. Get mad or be flattered - depends on the situation.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
If Dodge was REALLY smart, Sean, they'd put you under contract as you have certainly found solutions to many problems and refinements to the basic Viper...all at a VERY cost effective level...P.S....make it a FAT contract !!!

OP
OP
S

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Auto manufacturers use what race teams learn to improve their cars. I worked on Porsche and Pontiac factory race teams in '86, 87 and '91 and am very familiar with the way it works.

I have no patent on the duct kit that redirects the air from under the nose of the car and am not upset that they used the idea on the new car. Since they had to make a mold for the new car front bumper, it only makes sense to incorporate the duct kit into it. The duct reduces both drag and lift on the front of the car and improves the cooling ability of the radiator. We HAD to develop it because of the overheating problems our Viper had in World Challenge, even though it had a big race radiator in it.

We'll continue to make the duct kits for the 1992 to 2001 Vipers and nobody will get near our prices if they decide to copy it. My only regret is that they (Dodge) never gave me any support when I was racing / preparing to race with the Viper. If DC would like, they could drop off a 2003 RT/10 at my shop for further evaluation and testing
Based on the current Viper, I'm sure I could find some further refinements while saving them a few $100K in R&D.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck 98 RT/10:
My question is somewhat related - What are the stipulations on patent for a slogan? Like when Pat Riley patented "3Peat?" Anybody know?

Congrats Sean. Get mad or be flattered - depends on the situation.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Slogans are trademarked, not patented. Drop me an email if you want some info.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BigsViper:
Sean, How long have you had the duct kit commercially available? As the inventor and owner of several patents I know that if a product has been commercially available for over 1 year it is no longer patentable, so parts of this discussion may be moot.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
True, and also if Sean invented it, then Dodge could not patent it (unlike someone else was concerned with). Some products Sean develops may be worthwhile to consider patenting, though I gather no patent existed on the presently discussed invention.

OP
OP
S

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I know little about patenting, but have had one experience with it. In 1995, I spent $700 to find out that the aftermarket electronic climate control kit I designed was patented a year before. Unfortunately, I had sat on the idea and drawings about two years. The person with the patent sold the rights to Interdynamics.

Currently, none of my products are patented and I really don't know how much I should try to protect myself. My theory to date is that if I develop them (the products) first and price them low, then no business competitors are going to come in and bother me. Perhaps my thinking needs to change.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean, if you're interested in more info on patenting, drop me an email.

Slaughter, Esq
Registered Patent Attorney
USPTO # 43,923

Status
Not open for further replies.