Dodge needs to take the SRT to the track

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read about these niggling problems with the SRT and I think to myself, Corvette.

Perhaps some of you will remember how the Corvette endured a long span in 70's and 80's when it was a bad car. It wasn't until Chevy began seriously racing the car in showroom stock racing (specifically, the Nelson Ledges 24 hours) that the Vette again became a world class contender.

I think Dodge needs to actively campaign the SRT products in showroom stock classes.

Had they done that with the Gen I/II, we would've had decent brakes.

Had they done that with the SRT10, I believe, there wouldn't be parts falling off SRTs 2 years after the car's launch.

Dodge has plenty of talented engineer/drivers on the SRT team.

How do we convince them to use 'em?

P.S. Yes, it has to be showroom stock racing. Silhouette classes are fun to watch, but they don't do jack for the cars you and I buy.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They have a class for Vipers T-1. I haven't kept up on the T-1 Class but contact SCCA to see if they allow the SRT/10 to compete. Most likely they would want a Hard Top installed this has to be passed by SCCA before you could even think about putting one on the track. I can't recall if i have ever seen a Factory Back car in SSC or T-1

Kelly06

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Corvette, the c5, has had many problems and is no worse or better than the viper:
The steering column lock, known since 97, has finally been the issue of a recall. Talk about stranded.
The rear transaxle has been the source of many leaks and still has not been addressed.
What about the 01 z06 with it's oil burning. Gm stone walled that by saying it was the drivers fault. This lasted until the complaint became so large they couldn't ignore it. How would you have liked to have your engine pulled because of a DESIGN flaw?
How about the disappearing clutch pedal, where, under spirited driving, pedal goes to the floor---poor fluid return.
How about the battery on top of the cpu, so that when the battery leaked, it burned out the cpu

There are many more, but you get the idea. I wouldn't look to GM and the vette for anything over the viper (yea, but the vette is the best bang for the buck--horsepuckey).

Also the paint job on the viper (mine at least) is far superior to the vette.
Fit is about the same.

OP
OP
J

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kelly06,
You actually make my point.

The success of the C5Rs has not made the Vette better for the average Vette owner (Vettes were worse prior to the Nelson Ledges experience).

Dodge, and perhaps Chevy too, need to take bone stock cars to the track, break em' and fix em', improving the breed.

I realize all cars are built to a price, but would anybody gripe if for $5k more their Viper were "track rated" (a take-off on Jeep's "trail rated")?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte