Drag racing at Heartland Park (photos too!)

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had a ball at the "fun drags" at Heartland Park the other night. As one of the premiere NHRA tracks in the country (routinely sets records every year), I figured I should be able to make some decent passes. Indeed, my best run was there last year with tubes and filters: 12.04 @ 120.5 mph. Well, it was not to be this time, as they don't really prep the track for "fun drags". Everybody spun them off the line, including the junior dragsters with their Briggs & Stratton engines. Needless to say I did the same, with no better than a 2.09 60' time. My best run was a 12.28 @ 117.8 mph. I did manage a couple good lights, with my best a .510. Here are some fun pictures:

This was the most fun matchup of the night, as both of our cars are rated at 450 hp (his is an LS6 with cowl induction):

<center>
You must be registered for see images
</center>

He had just put new gears in it (3.92?) and also spun quite a bit. Our first run was my 12.38 to his high 13 (clock didn't catch it). The next run I did a 12.42 to his 13.56. We had a ball and he is looking at Vipers as his next "toy". His Chevelle was absolutely beautiful and ran superbly.

Here we are lined up for the staging area:

<center>
</center>

This next shot is pretty wild. The track officials were great and we shared a lot of laughs. By the end they were asking if I would like them to take any shots of my car from the lanes themselves. One of the best shots was a sunset photo that I posted on the main discussion board earlier. One of his first shots was unfocused and crazy looking, but I am pretty sure I was popping a wheelie! Well, OK, maybe not...

<center>
</center>

I kinda liked it! The final shot (too many others to post) was a license plate on a 13.8 second Guick GS. Neat car, and maybe a good plate for you folks looking for ideas for your Viper. Also included the bumper sticker for all you Buick fans:

<center>
</center>

Thanks for reading this.

Chris

9 seconds

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like fun. I'll be in the St. Joe/K.C. area after I kick a little Corvette a$$ in San Antonio on July first. E-mail me information on how to get in touch with you when I get there and figure out what I'm doing. I'd like to do some racing there if possible.

C-ya,

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean - Thanks for the comments, it's nice to know some folks like the pictures! I knew about the gross vs. net horsepower ratings, but he told me his is actually an LS7(?) and is very strong. I was impressed with his 13 second runs (I think his trap speed was around 105 mph). Nice guy too!

Steve - I would be delighted to show you around if you are in the Kansas City area. There are three drag race nights every week - two in KC and one in Topeka. How about that! There is also some autocrosses that may be taking place while you are in town. Heck, I think the Porsche Club may have the local 2.5 mile road course rented as well. Name your venue!

Frank - I ate lots of Wheaties and am now 7'4". OK, OK, I am still short compared to you. The folks at Heartland Park had no problem with me going up on their balconies over the staging lanes to shoot a few pictures. Fun stuff!

Thanks again for the read.

Chris

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude