driving gen 1's - impressions....

Dads Toy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sir, I would love to but I am making double payments on my truck. paid off next month and double payments on my vette. 11 more double payments to go. after that no bills other than relatively inexpensive house payment and THEN I can get my viper.

Sir, I respectfully suggest you put your money down! Gen 1 is an incredable sports car and a good value in this market. I suspect,... understanding the age of the car, many/most of the cars out there are still good machines that have been well kept in comfy garages. Good golly, there's a < 7K mi. car selling for < $25k only 5 miles from me right now! I suggest you pick it up before I do...! ... Then have a great road trip driving it home....

It may well drop more but who cares?.. This thing's for you to have fun with! It's a toy... The price of a Honda buys you a VIPER w/ < 10k mi...... ???? What's the issue??

I'll say it again: I love my gen 1 VIPER!, It's a great sunny day ride.. maybe the best ever!... Even with the rain etc.. The thing is good to go on long drives (and I know...), has loads of power (poor thing is only 400hp..haha!) and turns heads everywhere... So fun!

Dad need's a Toy...

GuitarSteve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to agree with everyone up top. Although coming from the passenger's point of view, its very much the same. The GEN I RT/10 (94 red) is more of a raw experience with a racing car or go-kart. Having been a passenger on a track in that car, I heard some rattles and creaking but that's what the GEN 1 is all about. The car felt like it was on rails, and extremely responsive. The GEN II cars
(99 GTS, 98 GTS, 00 RT/10) were a little more refined and somewhat quieter. The GEN III (04 black, 05 copperhead) was very refined and extremely quick. Not as much rattling, but you can still trace the car back to where it came from. I cannot comment on the GEN IV as I've not been in one yet.

What do I want as my ideal Viper? It MUST be an RT/10. Ideally a '95 but I wouldn't complain if it was a '96 McViper or white/blue, or a '97 RT/10 B/W (only 53).

I just thought you all would also like to hear opinions from the passenger's point-of-view.

-Steve

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had my Gen1 for 11 years now. I really enjoy it, but I'd say that the purpose you want it for determines how good it is. If it's a second vehicle that you're going to drive to car shows, cruises, etc., then it's a great car. Most of them don't get many miles because they are not good for any bad weather. Too hot, too cold, too wet, too much traffic and you won't want to drive it for very long. I added an Autoform hard top in the last 2 years, and that has been great for helping out with driving the car more often. However, putting the top on/off is always a pain. The car is very noisy, both in normal engine noise and in squeaks/rattles. Given that they are all at least 15 years old at this point, that will get worse and worse over time.

Some parts on Gen1's are getting tough to find. It doesn't count as a 'driving impression' but it will add to the hidden costs of owning the car.

All in all, it's a great car as a cruiser car that you can park when the conditions aren't perfect.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude