DWI

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dollars to donuts, everybody here has been over the limit at one time or another and drove.

I presume you are referring to the alcohol limit (as opposed to the speed limit). In that case, NO. I can say that I have NEVER driven while even remotely intoxicated. I'm not saying that as some badge of honor, but I think your statement is quite presumptive.

The previous is not to suggest that I haven't fallen asleep in a snow bank (hammered) in an attempt to walk home on occasion, but I have never gotten behind the wheel of a car after anything more than a single beer (not wine or liquor). Perhaps a single beer would put a 230 pounder over a limit in some states? If so, I retract my statement.

Regardless, is this claim true? Has everyone at some time driven while intoxicated? :confused: What a frightening thought!

The true lesson to be learned here, is NEVER venture into Brooklyn.

Last edited:

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no problem with DWI law and 0.08 is a good limit to set that at. People should not be driving around drunk, period.

The DWAI is the one that upsets me the most and is the BS revenue generator of the various states. 0.05 to arrest someone and put them through the exact same dog and ponnie show as a full blown DWI with the same costs, the same MADD clases, the same number of points on a license, etc. I believe that to be hypocrytical when you allow barely teenagers to be talking and texting on the phone while driving which is much worse than some adult with two drinks in them. Define a law and set the limit, that's it. An almost there but we will charge you basically the same law (DWAI) IS a money grab and at best a subjective thing for the officers to use.

Sorry to hear you son was impaired and caught. How he reacts, learns from and rebounds is the most important thing right now. My old college roommate went through the DWAI experience and blew a 0.055. The cop through the book at him, wrote it up for a full blow DWI, etc. My roommate was a very nice man with not an ill bone in his body nor a disrespecful bone in his body. Standard Colorado plead bargin everything, they plea'd it down to dangerous driving and 3 years probabtion, MADD classes, etc. I know he had only 2 drinks that Halloween night, but was 23 and was not a big guy. The lawyer did help him tremendously, so I would highly suggest you retain one for your son. The lawyer helped him with the whole plea bargin, etc. It was well worth the money in the end.

Sorry, but the vast majority of people have done things in their life they were not proud of. When I was younger I did. Be a man and admit it and move on. That is life. It's the people that admit nothing and go about as there is never anything wrong and condemm everyone else to hell for every little act of indescretion that scares me. Those are the ones that turn out to be serial killers or something.

Nowadays it is not worth or chancing drinking even one drink and driving. They wonder why binge drinking is up. There's your sign!

unclgreggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New York has a very firm stance on DWIs - especially for people under 21. They have what is called "zero tolerance"

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I presume you are referring to the alcohol limit (as opposed to the speed limit). In that case, NO. I can say that I have NEVER driven while even remotely intoxicated. I'm not saying that as some badge of honor, but I think your statement is quite presumptive.

The previous is not to suggest that I haven't fallen asleep in a snow bank (hammered) in an attempt to walk home on occasion, but I have never gotten behind the wheel of a car after anything more than a single beer (not wine or liquor). Perhaps a single beer would put a 230 pounder over a limit in some states? If so, I retract my statement.

Regardless, is this claim true? Has everyone at some time driven while intoxicated? :confused: What a frightening thought!

The true lesson to be learned here, is NEVER venture into Brooklyn.

He's talking about most of America (vs NYC), which does not live in large cities where they can walk or use public transportation. There have been some studies that show the volume of people that have admitted to driving impaired, and the percentages are pretty high (vary by region, midwest was REALLY high as I recall), and amounts to 10s of millions or more of the population.

Driving while impaired can be dangerous, but compare someone at .08 and otherwise driving safely versus the sober person at 150 MPH on public roads, the sober person texting and driving, etc.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's talking about most of America (vs NYC), which does not live in large cities where they can walk or use public transportation. There have been some studies that show the volume of people that have admitted to driving impaired, and the percentages are pretty high (vary by region, midwest was REALLY high as I recall), and amounts to 10s of millions or more of the population.

Driving while impaired can be dangerous, but compare someone at .08 and otherwise driving safely versus the sober person at 150 MPH on public roads, the sober person texting and driving, etc.

Thanks Slaughter. We're really getting off topic here (and I neglected to express my concern for the father and son's misfortune) but, I just don't get this. Do I exceed the speed limit, yes. But there's a reward for speeding and that's the "thrill" of going fast, perhaps even the thrill of not getting caught. Regardless, it's wrong and I'll be the first to admit it. But driving after a few drinks? What's "fun" about that? All risk with NO reward. Take a cab, have some one else drive.... is it all about the avoidance of nuisance? I don't get that part.

Having spent 4 years in upstate NY, I do have some sense of why rural areas (devoid of easily accessible public transportation) may have such a problem with DW impaired or intoxicated. But it all seem to come down to the avoidance of bothering others, or having friends that really give a hoot. I'm happy that with an 8 year old daughter, my family life typically gets me home early. It's frightning to think what's must be out there on the roads regularly after 10PM.

OP
OP
F

Frank17

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to most of you for your words and actions. The bashing is not something you need to do. He is not a child, 36, just made a mistake. BAC was .0875.
He has a lawyer, good one, and is awaiting some action on the case.
Thank you again to the helpers.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to most of you for your words and actions. The bashing is not something you need to do. He is not a child, 36, just made a mistake. BAC was .0875.
He has a lawyer, good one, and is awaiting some action on the case.
Thank you again to the helpers.

Best of luck Frank!

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frank best of luck (with that BLOOD-ACH level he may beat it esp if there were no problems with the motor vech stop and inturn the lawyer has some juice in the court system)I think what alot of people around the country dont realize is the total population concentration per square(total number of cars ect ) in the NY NJ AREAS.The driving laws are so tough because of this very fact.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang