Dyno results.......... impressive, but how?

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Took my snake (96 GTS) to get it dyno'd along with 20 other Illinois VIper owners today. Here are my dyno results from my first pull (which was the best)

Temp: 74.9
Elevation: 600 ft.
Max Power: 435.6 RWHP
Max Torque: 473.1 RWHP
Fuel: 100 octane

Some good numbers (second best I think) but here's the problem. From what mods? I bought the car 3 months ago and am still learning about it. I know it has the following:

TNT Headers (someone thinks they are, they look almost stock)
Smooth Tubes
Cone filters (Which make it draw more heat I hear)
No muffler

Some other cars with MORE mods were pulling 395 RWHP. We compared t-bodies and they looked the same, It doesn't sound like it has a larger cam in it, Could it have roller rockers? But that's only 15 hp I hear. I checked the rear ratio, It's stock 3.07. I've heard Vipers without the cats on and mine definately has them because no-cat cars are twice as loud as mine. So what have I missed? Riddle me this batman..........

John N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SteveB,

Your numbers sound fine for Gen II car. Most Gen II's with your mods seem to run 425-450 RWHP. If it were me, I wouldn't spend too much time looking for hidden modifications - just enjoy it
You must be registered for see images

Marc Lublin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you open the oil cap on the valve cover you should be able to see if it has roller rockers. T & D's don't fit under the baffles, baffles are removed and you can see straight to the rocker.

OP
OP
S

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I checked the rollers, I have the baffles in place. As far as 425-450 being the norm for Gen II, NOBODY posted these # with normal mods (96' and up). I think the only person above me (443 RWHP) had about 7 mods although I can't remember them all. I think he had a computer, larger t-bodies, headers, pipes, smooth tubes, filters, maybe a cam. Not complaining but I haven't been able to get in touch with the origianl owner (and I don't think I will)so I'm still trying to figure it out.

getbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '99 GTS dynoed 428 RWHP with the following mods:
TNT catback exhaust
Mopar computer (subtract HP!)
Larger Throttle bodies (not very helpful without headers)
Roe Racing VEC-1
TNT Cold Air Induction Cones

This was done in the Houston, TX. heat and high humidity with 92 octane fuel.

I had no headers or other mods. Not a bad dyno and your '96 is definetely not out of line with the headers. Lots of 96-97 dyno with more HP than '99 and up.

pauljkopick

Viper Owner
Reaction score
steveb-dyno last wek,00gts,headers,smoothies,s&b filters,stock cats,(changing to hi-flow).corsa exhaust. 433.5rwhp,476.7 torque.

OP
OP
S

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now I'm really confused. BamBam, Do I have stock exhaust manifolds? I don't have a picture but the heat shields (covers) are on them and it looks stock (there are no outragous bends) but the collector has 5 seperate pipes. I looked at a buddies 97 GTS and he has just the one pipe, not 5 going to the pipe that leads to the cats. So are mine aftermarket?

Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Marc Lublin:
If you open the oil cap on the valve cover you should be able to see if it has roller rockers. T & D's don't fit under the baffles, baffles are removed and you can see straight to the rocker.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

T&D roller rockers do fit under the baffles. Just remove the baffles and grind a small amount off each baffle attaching point, inside the valve cover. I forgot the exact measurement. Ask Dan Cragin for details.

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like you have got non-stock headers, but which ones! OE headers ('96 / '97) are cast iron (a magnet will stick to them), if it won't, then they are a good quality stainless. The Belangers make good horse power gains, but aren't stainless though. On the stock header the O2 sensors screw in just below where all the pipes blend into one, from off the head, 7" below the middle lower exhaust manifold head bolt, and this is on the almost 90 degree bend flange, with 2 bolts that mates it up to the OE cat piece, that has the flexi piece of pipe in it, does yours have this? Most performance headers have this O2 sensor port further away.

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
P.S. can you contact the previous owner to find out(?), in the UK we have the previous owner details on the car registration documents. If he / she had been spending money on mods, sure they'd be happy to chat to you about these, especialy knowing that the snake has gone to a good home!

OP
OP
S

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update, I tried the magnet, It doesn't stick so I assume they are aftermarket. I can't see any sensor where you described, the 5 pipes go pretty far down towards the rocker panel. The car came from Calf so maybe I do have TNT. Anybody have a picture of them off the car?

dblankenbaker

Viper Owner
Reaction score
steveb,

If your car is '96 GTS VIN 0700, the original owner is Tom Pianovski (Illinois VCA member).

The headers/exhaust are SVS.

(I happened to see that car there, but didn't notice who the current owner is.)

David

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roy,

My results from the IL Dyno Day are below. We had a late entrant with a fully prepared race motor from SVS. It was awsome! Loudest thing I have ever heard on a street. I really felt as though I had left the dyno and was at the track. I don't remember what he ran, but I know it was somewhere around 530 and he wasn't happy with it...

David,

I'm pretty sure I test drove Tom's '96 GTS last fall. It has sidepipes right? I liked the car, but it had too many miles for me (&gt; 50,000).

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by steveb:
As far as 425-450 being the norm for Gen II, NOBODY posted these # with normal mods (96' and up). I think the only person above me (443 RWHP) had about 7 mods although I can't remember them all.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dyno'd at 425 rwhp and 467 rwft-lbs when totally stock. Now with headers, exhaust, K&Ns and smooth tubes, I'm at 456 rwhp and 490 rwft-lbs. All numbers are SAE corrected on a Dynojet 248C.

Martin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since everyone else is posting their numbers I will too. On my newly completed Venom 650R, I pulled 564 RWHP and 563 RWTQ. Thing runs like a scalded dog too!

Thanks HMS!!!!!

OP
OP
S

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob, nice #'s even without the headers. It looks like the 96's did a little better, although all #'s were impressive (except for that 300zx, what happen there?) Anyone have a picture of a tnt header?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala