e-bay car misrepresented

-RUNNR

Site programmer
Reaction score
I have a similiar gap on my RT. Taking me forever to get the hood aligned properly after it was repaired. No viper techs up here who know how to do it properly.

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The headlight can be adjusted vertically. This looks like it could be improved with some tweaking. The problem is that almost everything up there is adjustable and when you move one thing it affects all the others.

Get the hood as square and level as possible. Then work with the light and maybe shim the nose.

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats how mine looks. You may want to run a carfax but its may just be normal. Its a plastic dodge. Im surprised the gap isnt larger :)

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It may also just be that the hood is not latched properly. I closed my hood one time and noticed it looked just like that on one side, and after opening it and closing it back carefully it was fine.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just had my front facia repainted, and at the same time adjusted the hood. It is much easier to adjust the hood without the facia because the brackets are easy to access. I think it took me all of 1 hour to take off the facia.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I were you my concerns would be with the drivers side. If you look carefully it is obvious the hood is making contact with the headlight.

The passenger side looks about normal for viper fit and finish, but the drivers side looks way to close and is making the passenger look worse.

Front end collision? Most likely, I have yet to see a Viper with such poor allignment from factory.

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That gap is too big. It almost looks like the hood may not be latched. If it is latched, the gap is pretty far off.

First thing, is the frame tweaked or bent? I have found that most of the gaps (on the side) between the hood and the facia are usually 8 to 12 milimeters on good cars. This gap shown is too big.

I am in the process of writing an article on how to adjust this gap. It is a LOT of work! It can take a full day with two people working. I don't think I would do it for under 600 bucks. Way too much labor.

I have lots of pictures during the process. I have done it a few times. The headlights are shimmed, the bumber is shimmed and slotted (for up and down) and the hood can go up and down. One adjustment affects all the rest.

Most shops do not allocate enough time for the actual labor envolved with a facia / hood adjustment.

The headlights are the hardest. You can get to them through the fog lights but not 100%. It's lots of Put-it-on, Take-it-off until it is right.

I have seen a few Vipers on the showroom that are way off. Some hoods even rub the headlight.

RUNNR if you were in KC, I would say bring the car over and I will explain how to fix the gap. You are correct, most Viper Techs have no clue how to adjust it. They are mechanics for the most part, not body men.

If the article turns out clear and informative, I will have it posted on the How To Section.

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my 96 almost three years ago. It had less than 10k and had never been wrecked. My gaps were terrible. I spent some 10 hrs of adjusting lights,facia,facia bar,hood and front support. Needless to say if you can see mine they are now very tight and nice.I've seen some very bad ones. My headlights are free from rubbing but I have had some hood to bumper facia rubbing. Not noticeable when the hood is closed but when it's open I have some marks. Seems the hood is too large and somewhat flemsy. Not complaining - just a fact!

Eddie N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that car belongs to socrates of the board.. i dont think its being misrepresented, and i'm sure some of the florida guys that know him personally will chime in here.. i'm actually surprised that i'm the first one to recognize the car.. from what i understand he is selling that car to put himself through college..

- eddie -

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
booth