E85 on gen 4

VNM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone tried E85 on a gen 4 ?
Car is a 2008 with Belanger headers corsa exhaust BBG lower intake.

Thanks
Moe

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quick and dirty way is to swap in 40% larger fuel injectors but that's a lot of trouble and $ for little gain.

EZ 2B Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My guess is it would run horrible if at all. It would also probably damage your fuel system. Did you mean to say E15? E85 is 85% Alcohol and only 15% Gasoline. Don't do it without the advice of SRT Engineers. What we most commonly get at the pumps today is
E10.

OP
OP
V

VNM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info!
And what do you guys think about 100 octane (race gas), will i see some gain in hp.
Btw I have the stock ecu

Thanks

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2010 GMC Sierra will run on both E85 and regular gas. It loses about 4 MPG running on E85 and I did the math. You don't save any money. Most tell you that you also have less power running E85 - I never really noticed that.

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2010 GMC Sierra will run on both E85 and regular gas. It loses about 4 MPG running on E85 and I did the math. You don't save any money. Most tell you that you also have less power running E85 - I never really noticed that.

At close to $10.00 per gallon you would realize enough gain to make a real difference.

ssjcreeper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We're tuning on my build as we speak. First tune is on pump 93, second tune on 109 unleaded race gas. Not sure what gains to expect from the race gas, but we're going to give it a go regardless. Just remember that you'll want to retune if you expect to see results from a modification, including an octane change.

On a side note, my buddy is in the middle of a Mustang build to support an E85 setup. From what I understand an E85 setup requires a higher flow rate which required he upgrade his fuel pump, lines, and injectors.

Thanks for the info!
And what do you guys think about 100 octane (race gas), will i see some gain in hp.
Btw I have the stock ecu

Thanks

Last edited:

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info!
Btw I have the stock ecu

Thanks

No need to run anything over 93 octane in your car. Anything higher is a waste of money.

I have the Mopar controller in mine and I mix race gas with pump gas for a 95 octane mix only when I'm tracking the car.

Lots of myths surrounding the use of E85 out there so do your own research. Bottom line is there is a huge benefit to running E85 in a forced induction engine. Less so in a normally aspirated engine unless you have increased compression and a way to fine tune spark and fuel maps.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI...anyone looking for race gas should go to Sunoco's website and search your area for stations that sell it at the pump. For example, I found a place in West Salem, WI that sells Sunoco 110 leaded race gas for $5.90/gallon. Hell of a deal as they were selling the 98 unleaded at the track for $10/gallon. Pays to shop around.

viper04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We're tuning on my build as we speak. First tune is on pump 93, second tune on 109 unleaded race gas. Not sure what gains to expect from the race gas, but we're going to give it a go regardless. Just remember that you'll want to retune if you expect to see results from a modification, including an octane change.

On a side note, my buddy is in the middle of a Mustang build to support an E85 setup. From what I understand an E85 setup requires a higher flow rate which required he upgrade his fuel pump, lines, and injectors.

ssjcreeper
keep us post would like to see if there is a big difference. thanks.

ssjcreeper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm certainly not the expert on this but I'd be concerned about the effects of leaded gas on your O2s. As before though, if you're not tuning for higher octane, you're probably just wasting money. Still, I'm not sure what gains to expect even with tuning. Hoping to get my answer Monday.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm certainly not the expert on this but I'd be concerned about the effects of leaded gas on your O2s. As before though, if you're not tuning for higher octane, you're probably just wasting money. Still, I'm not sure what gains to expect even with tuning. Hoping to get my answer Monday.

I imagine if you ran straight leaded all the time it would ruin the 02's quickly although I have no experience with that nor have I heard of anyone else experiencing that. I only run it at the track and it's mixed with unleaded. When I'm done, I fill the the tank with unleaded. Never fouled an 02 in 20 years of running leaded gas in my track cars.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang