Europeans - where do you park?

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
As I'm seriously considering moving to France, I've been scrutinizing public parking spots while I'm over here working. Between France, Monaco, Italy and Spain I've yet to see a single parking spot that a Viper would comfortably, if at all, fit inside.

Handicapped parking, loading zones and bus stops are the only areas that look like they can accomodate the snake.

So when you are out and about in your cars, where in the hell do you park?!?

Yves

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The situation is indeed BAD.
My Viper spends 99.9 % of the time in an underground garage.
When I take it out cruising, I usually go to remote places (castles somewhere in the mountains).
Only once I took it downtown Vienna. One can not find a safe spot, and the moment it is parked it becomes a public attraction. You want to stay out of cities !

Having a Viper along the Mediteranian would freak me out.
I fear that the risk for vandalism and theft is really high.
The next 'owner' of your snake might be Marrocan ! :)

OP
OP
D

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
Theft I'm not so worried about. A good alarm system and ignition kill switch should take care of that, along with parking in the open.

Vandalism would ****, and no real way to stop it. If I stick to the nicer places (Monaco, Villefranche, Cap Ferat, etc.) I figure it should be safe from both theft and vandalism. There are Ferraris and Porsches on practically every street in Monaco and they seem to be left alone.

I'm honestly worried about the parking. I mean I've seen ZERO parking places that a Viper could fit inside. And if it did manage to fit, the tires would be on top of the painted lines. What happens if I take two parking places? At best I'm inviting my car to be keyed. Would I just get a parking ticket or would it be towed? When parking in Miami Beach, Coral Gables and Coconut Grove, a lot of the time I'll just park illegally knowing that I'll get a $20 ticket, but I just view it as a parking fee paid to the city :laugh:

Towing, however, I would not view as such...

I was in Sweden once and saw a H U G E old 19-fifty-something Cadillac in *perfect* condition cruising around. So there must be parking places somewhere in Europe that can accomodate large cars - I just can't seem to find them...

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
in the nicer area's I wouldnt worry to much about theft and vandalism, but you will be asking for dinged doors, yes the parking spaces are narrow and you need a bit of room to swing the door open and get out.

sadly I personally dont leave the viper out of sight, anywhere, rarely I'm happy to walk away. So I'll use the run-about instead, most of the time the GTS is tucked away. I like Yves, stay away from the crowded cities and go to open spaces. Most of the UK owners do the same, and use it as a weekend car.

If you go to France your viper will be a real head turner, have you ever noticed in general the lack of sports cars ? Porsche,ferrari etc. A BMW and merc is something special in France ! They all drive mundane renaults and citreon's

OP
OP
D

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
Perhaps outside the Riviera there is a dearth of sports cars in France, but in and around Monaco there sure as heck isn't. They've got Ferraris like the U.S. has Accords.

I've seen no Vipers, though :D

They need a Car Defense System (CaDS) that detects when some ******* dings your door. This would activate CaDS whereupon an SMG with autotracking on a robotic arm would deploy out of the hood and spray 9mm bullets into the face of the offender.

:2tu:

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen a couple of RT's in Monaco, your viper is the right color to for there and it will blend in right in, performance wise with the locals

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DO NOT take up two parking spaces! Europeans are VERY rules oriented. They will call you out without any hesitation. The will curse and grumble and call the police if you break any of thier rules!
Do not stand on the left side on an escalator. Do not stand in the bike section while waiting to cross a street! Do not cross the U-bahn tracks on foot! Do not say excuse me if you accidentally bump into someone... on and on and on.

Fishtail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They don't have parking regulations like most cities do in the states. The size of the parking spots are smaller and not regulated. You'll have to coat the sides of the car with 3M tape ;)

-Lou

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DO NOT take up two parking spaces! Europeans are VERY rules oriented. They will call you out without any hesitation. The will curse and grumble and call the police if you break any of thier rules!
Do not stand on the left side on an escalator. Do not stand in the bike section while waiting to cross a street! Do not cross the U-bahn tracks on foot! Do not say excuse me if you accidentally bump into someone... on and on and on.

What part of Europe are you talking about? Germany is the closest to that mentality, but I've never felt that way while in Europe.
Go to Southern Italy and see how they follow the rules! And how they respect the Police! :p

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove a Chrysler minivan across Spain (1700kms) this summer and parking was a nightmare. Tiny streets, small spaces, motos buzzing by on both sides.
The Spanish are not very rules oriented. They double park with regularity.

Topawam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I lived in France for about 27 years and what you experienced along the Riviera is the best of France concerning the sports car population (most of the wealthiest people lives there). I also do agree with the comments about vandalism. I can tell you how much I appreciate to leave my car on Las Olas without any hesitation, but not having it in sight on the Parisian blvds would make me very nervous. I will bring back my snake to France, but will keep it out of those big cities parking lots or spaces. And I will be concerned by theft, nobody would care about the viper being towed with the alarm on !!! That being said, you are going to have a blast driving around Europe with your Snake, I can't wait to rediscover those roads at the wheel of my GTS.
Bruno

Peter-RedGTS'98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
UNRATLED – are you really considering moving to Europe? Oh my God. There are hundreds of reasons I moved out over 15 years ago. Every time I go back and talk to my friends there (wealthy and not fortunate) I come happy I am in US. Anyway, Germany (western part) and Monaco are the best locations for worry free location. Sorry, but France is close to the bottom. Get a Renault there and fly to the USA every month for a long weekend Viper fun. :)

OP
OP
D

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
Well, it's not that I dislike the U.S., I just want a change.

The south of France has basically unparalleled cuisine, scenery and weather. The only place I know of in the world that has better food is Italy, which is a very short drive away. I can go snow skiing and swim in the Mediterranean sea on the same day within 4 hours of each other. It is relatively crime-free when compared to most other places in the world, and the women are some of the most beautiful I've seen anywhere (Scandinavia, Brazil, Russia and many former Eastern Block countries also have high ratios of beautiful women).

The major downside is that the cost of living is extremely high. Maybe I'll just goof around for a couple of years then move back. At this point I don't know, but I'm going to give it a try :2tu:

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, it's not that I dislike the U.S., I just want a change.

The south of France has basically unparalleled cuisine, scenery and weather. The only place I know of in the world that has better food is Italy, which is a very short drive away. I can go snow skiing and swim in the Mediterranean sea on the same day within 4 hours of each other. It is relatively crime-free when compared to most other places in the world, and the women are some of the most beautiful I've seen anywhere (Scandinavia, Brazil, Russia and many former Eastern Block countries also have high ratios of beautiful women).

The major downside is that the cost of living is extremely high. Maybe I'll just goof around for a couple of years then move back. At this point I don't know, but I'm going to give it a try :2tu:

Give it a try! But you will Learn Quickly how GREAT the USA is! :usa:
Here in the States you can find the same Scenery, weather, FOOD etc.

Crime-Free? NOPE. You just don't read about it in the paper like you do here. There is a MUCH higher Unemployment rate, leading to alot more theft/crime.

I have learned from YEARS of experience, in all parts of Europe, that a Vacation is FUN, but living there is something totally different!
Have fun, Give it a try! I look forward to hearing your thoughts after a couple years living in France.

My suggestion would be to pick a city in Italy to make your home. As Frances reputation is Deserving in my opionion and experience.

Good luck!

OP
OP
D

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
"Give it a try! But you will Learn Quickly how GREAT the USA is!"

I've lived in the U.S. for the vast majority of my life. I know exactly how great it is :2tu:

Actually, you can't :laugh:

There is comparable scenery, I suppose. Cali coast line sorta compares, but not really. The weather in central Cali is somewhat comparable. But the food, not even close. I've eaten all over the U.S. and our cuisine simply is nowhere near the quality of what you get in the Med, especially in France and Italy. I ate at Stars & Bars in Monaco the other night, which serves American 'cuisine', if you can call chicken wings and cheeseburgers cuisine :laugh: , and even they tasted better than what you get in the States. American food prepared by French and Italian chefs using ingredients from Europe just tastes better.

(I had a BBQ bacon chili cheeseburger and 5 mojitos :D )

"Crime-Free? NOPE."

I said compared to the rest of the world. I'm far and away more worried about crime in Africa, Asia and South America than I am in western Europe.

"I have learned from YEARS of experience, in all parts of Europe, that a Vacation is FUN, but living there is something totally different!
Have fun, Give it a try! I look forward to hearing your thoughts after a couple years living in France."

Well, I've spent about 1.5 years in the Med over the course of the last 3.5 years which is what led me to the decision. Brazil and South Africa were also front runners, but the crime there is just too much to deal with.

"My suggestion would be to pick a city in Italy to make your home. As Frances reputation is Deserving in my opionion and experience."

In my experience, the French at large are some of the nicest Europeans I've encountered. Parisians are supposedly the irksome ones, but I haven't spent enough time in Paris to develop an opinion.

Anyway, I'll find out the hard way :D

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sounds like a posititve attitude :2tu: fair play to you

get your viper up to Lemans for the 24 hr race, that party is worth doing !

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, I shouldn't have said all of Europe about the 'rules' thingy. Germans are just a touch different. Other places in Europe it's exactly opposite (traffic in Rome) Hmmmmm, Kinda like the USA! Drive in Dallas and you'll have a completely different idea of who follows the rules compared to New York City and what rules they follow.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Parking problems?
You must be registered for see images

Come over and enjoy LIFE. You will love it. And the ALPs are an incredible area to drive the Viper around...

You must be registered for see images

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, I shouldn't have said all of Europe about the 'rules' thingy. Germans are just a touch different. Other places in Europe it's exactly opposite (traffic in Rome) Hmmmmm, Kinda like the USA! Drive in Dallas and you'll have a completely different idea of who follows the rules compared to New York City and what rules they follow.

I really enjoyed my 2 years in Germany. Even as TIGHT as many of the Germans are(mostly older ones)! :p
They know how to enjoy their weekends. And I am a HUGE fan of the German FOOD!! Of course, washing it down with German beer tops it off!

You hit it on the head in regards to following rules, etc. NY isn't the place you want to drive defensively! :D

OP
OP
D

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
In my experience, most of the world drives like crap compared to U.S. drivers.

Pick the city in the U.S. that you think has the worst drivers. Spend a day driving there. Get **********.

Then fly to Egypt, rent a car and drive in Cairo for one hour. Your opinion will change as fast as the return date on your plane ticket.

I can think of only a handful of places in the world that have comparable driving habits to the U.S. All other are worse (where 'worse' = 'unsafe') ranging from bad (Portugal, France) to downright terrifying (Egypt, Namibia, Russia).

Heysie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I have to park the Viper in a city, I always use 2 parking lots, but he Dutch can't drive, so that's normally down here.

In France you will notice that motor bikers will wave at you, as they normally will do at other bikers. Very funny

OP
OP
D

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
Speaking of Europe and Vipers, where do you get your cars worked on? Are there any Viper techs on the continent?

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the continent. Are you kidding?
>450 million people live here.
OK, may be 5 or 6 Viper Techs too.

flying dutchman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

what an idiot.......

flying dutchman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Give it a try! But you will Learn Quickly how GREAT the USA is!"

I've lived in the U.S. for the vast majority of my life. I know exactly how great it is :2tu:

Actually, you can't :laugh:

There is comparable scenery, I suppose. Cali coast line sorta compares, but not really. The weather in central Cali is somewhat comparable. But the food, not even close. I've eaten all over the U.S. and our cuisine simply is nowhere near the quality of what you get in the Med, especially in France and Italy. I ate at Stars & Bars in Monaco the other night, which serves American 'cuisine', if you can call chicken wings and cheeseburgers cuisine :laugh: , and even they tasted better than what you get in the States. American food prepared by French and Italian chefs using ingredients from Europe just tastes better.

(I had a BBQ bacon chili cheeseburger and 5 mojitos :D )

"Crime-Free? NOPE."

I said compared to the rest of the world. I'm far and away more worried about crime in Africa, Asia and South America than I am in western Europe.

"I have learned from YEARS of experience, in all parts of Europe, that a Vacation is FUN, but living there is something totally different!
Have fun, Give it a try! I look forward to hearing your thoughts after a couple years living in France."

Well, I've spent about 1.5 years in the Med over the course of the last 3.5 years which is what led me to the decision. Brazil and South Africa were also front runners, but the crime there is just too much to deal with.

"My suggestion would be to pick a city in Italy to make your home. As Frances reputation is Deserving in my opionion and experience."

In my experience, the French at large are some of the nicest Europeans I've encountered. Parisians are supposedly the irksome ones, but I haven't spent enough time in Paris to develop an opinion.

Anyway, I'll find out the hard way :D

IMO its just what yr used too, this year ive been to the keys,miami,ft lauderdale, new orleans, memphis, washington and baltimore and altough i love being in the US i would not want to move there, Unratled seems to travel with an open mind, which i cant say of others, reading their posts.

FLOORIN04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
UNRATLD- CHECK THESE OUT FOR THEFT ALARMS
For when the Trunk Monkey isn't enough, here are some good anti-theft devices for the Viper

http://www.stickdeath.com/2002auto.html

http://www.stickdeath.com/2003auto.html

http://www.stickdeath.com/2004auto.html
They need a Car Defense System (CaDS) that detects when some ******* dings your door. This would activate CaDS whereupon an SMG with autotracking on a robotic arm would deploy out of the hood and spray 9mm bullets into the face of the offender
i LIKE THE THIRD SITE WHEN YOU TALK TO THE :2tu: :2tu:

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]

IMO its just what yr used too, this year ive been to the keys,miami,ft lauderdale, new orleans, memphis, washington and baltimore and altough i love being in the US i would not want to move there, Unratled seems to travel with an open mind, which i cant say of others, reading their posts.

[/QUOTE]

I have lived throughout Europe for the last 10 years. And I have had an amazing time, met great friends, had great experiences, I have also learned alot.
As you would not want to move here, I would not want to move there. No big deal.

UNRATLD,I didn't mean to come across too harsh in my first post. Not my intention, just my feelings from my experiences. We will have to agree to disagree on many points! I have seen both the BEST of Europe and the best of the US, and made my decision. You'll be doing the same, and you'll come up with your own opinion.

Vacationing in Europe/USA a couple months at a time, is not living there. Living there as an American for 2 years straight, will give you a whole different view. Have fun in your time over there, see everything you can, and let us know how you feel afterwards. :2tu:

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
about the Parisians. I visited Paris in Sept.2001 and what a lousy attitude, like if you speak english you don't belong here! Fast forward, a visit to Paris in August 2004, falling over themselves to be of service. I guess they did'nt like the idea of freedom fries replacing french fries.The Brits say they would really prefer you just send your money and stay home. LOL
As for parking,the spaces are intended for Smart Cars, Minis and Vespas. Vipers are not welcomed.
As for terrible drivers, how about Boston and PuertoRico. Rick

Yves

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The French view of the world : a [******] flow pyramid.
Paris is on top of the world and craps on the rest of France.
France craps on thr rest of the world.

Based on numerous years of business trips to France and dealing with French 'management'.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32