Everyone with ****** 9500ix...it did not pick up a radar gun... ***

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't imagine that it can be very helpful at all against laser. I'd like to hear from folks here if they have successfully avoided a ticket with a laser detector.

I've avoided 2 with my Valentine 1. Both were detections because the cars in front of me were being painted with laser so I was able to get a warning. If you are the target of laser you will not be able to beat it without a laser jammer, or stealth coating (maybe).

Apparently the best laser jammers currently are the Blinder HP 905 and the Laser Interceptor (HP). If I get off of my butt I should have my LI quad HP installed along with my 9500ci and Valentine. Debating on using the ZR4 in conjunction with the LI because the ZR4 hasn't shown to be as good as the LI.

This is a site that hasn't been updated in a while but they have some good info (getting outdated though):
http://www.guysoflidar.com/

You must be registered for see images attach

This is another decent site but I'm not sure how many vendors are there giving their opinions:
http://www.radardetectorforum.org/forum.php

SlateEd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depends on where you drive and what the local PD uses most. If they use Radar more often as in Ka band or K band you'll get plenty of warning time - the NY State Troopers tend to use Ka most often and my 9500ix is a life saver! Sometimes know he's there up to a mile ahead!

It's specifically the Laser that is super narrow, little to no warning and if the ****** goes off for that type it's probably too late.

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been running a 9500XI for a while in my Viper and truck and trust it to let me know where the radar is. When LASER goes off, you've been HIT and if they want you, it's a done deal. NO radar detector, regardless of brand is going to take the place of using your head. I've incorporated what other Viper drivers have been doing for years into my driving habits and have been lucky so far (fingers crossed, as this upcoming weekend at the Texas Roundup will challenge it!). Stay in the right hand (slow) lane as much as you can ... look ahead as far as you can see for the tell-tale signs of a cop running a trap like brake lights on the cars ahead ... and don't EVER trust any radar detector to keep you from getting busted! It's only a tool to help you minimize your risk, not a guarantee of anything.

lxadeuce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a laser beam from a LIDAR gun is about 3 feet wide at 1200 feet. imagine a 3 foot circle at the front of your car. if he is aiming at a headlight, it is entirely possible that your detector did not see the beam at all. there is a product called laser VEIL that can be applied to headlights that will reduce the distance they can get a reading but they will still get one if you are close enough. I've run a V1 on the bike and without the VEIL he got my speed at 1100 feet. With the headlight covered it dropped to 600 feet. The whole time i was picking it up on the V1 though because it is mounted right above the headlight. i would have had some warning as most cops target around 1000-1500 feet.

the best option to make sure you get a laser warning/ticket notifier is to mount the detector low or with a remote head at your license plate level with unobstructed view at the front, but the best for picking up radar is higher up pointing straight forward.

your vehicle being black would be a great candidate for a laser jammer system if you never want to get popped by a laser but those run around $1k for a relaible system that you can count on

Lespauldude

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've been running a 9500XI for a while in my Viper and truck and trust it to let me know where the radar is. When LASER goes off, you've been HIT and if they want you, it's a done deal. NO radar detector, regardless of brand is going to take the place of using your head. I've incorporated what other Viper drivers have been doing for years into my driving habits and have been lucky so far (fingers crossed, as this upcoming weekend at the Texas Roundup will challenge it!). Stay in the right hand (slow) lane as much as you can ... look ahead as far as you can see for the tell-tale signs of a cop running a trap like brake lights on the cars ahead ... and don't EVER trust any radar detector to keep you from getting busted! It's only a tool to help you minimize your risk, not a guarantee of anything.

Well said, Mike. It really boils down to common sense. No radar detector can replace common sense.

Scott

Raven2k8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Like everyone else said he was probably running laser. Most of the time they wont pull the trigger if you don't look like you are speeding. They use speed estimation with their eyes first.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
with laser, the detector only tells you that you got nailed. you pretty much have zero chance against it.

shmoos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If his windows were closed, he wasn't using laser. Perhaps he didn't have it on, and was just finishing up a traffic stop. Food for thought.

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what be these rims me likey?

Gianellie spezia 6. Unfortunately they don't make them anymore but I've seen them come up on eBay here and there. The center is a black cover that you can take on and off or paint to match any other color.

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If his windows were closed, he wasn't using laser. Perhaps he didn't have it on, and was just finishing up a traffic stop. Food for thought.

LOL No. His car was parked sideways. Windows down, gun in hand, pointing it right in to traffic.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang