Exhaust Info

PAULIE G

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Need some input on exhaust. I have an 02 GTS and would like to put a cat back system but would like some input on what brand I should get. I've been looking at corsa, borla and B&B. What brand do I go with? Do I change the cats too? I'm looking for a nice sound but not too loud that you can't talk in the car. Thanks in advance for any input.

vipeuup

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Need some input on exhaust. I have an 02 GTS and would like to put a cat back system but would like some input on what brand I should get. I've been looking at corsa, borla and B&B. What brand do I go with? Do I change the cats too? I'm looking for a nice sound but not too loud that you can't talk in the car. Thanks in advance for any input.

Yes, defitnetly change the cats. Good sound and not loud. That would be the Corsa exhaust.

Reaction score
No matter what brand you select the cost is considerable.

Sound being an individual taste, suggest you find local owners with the various cat back models and select the sound you like. They can be noisy.

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Put the B&B on. See how you like the sound, then go from there. If you want it louder, then either remove the cats or replace with hi flow cats. No big deal.

GT40DOC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree with Fred all the way. What one person likes may be offensive to you. Go listen to many and then make your choice. I, personally, left my stock cats on an like it that way. Don't get in a hurry, they are expensive to buy and install. My .02 :D

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sound is subjective.
As stated above, what I may think sounds bada$$, you may think sounds awful or too loud.
Does your state sample emissions? This will impact your cats, no cats, hi-flow cats decision.
Some of the systems drone.
A cat-back system is for audible pleasure only. The gains in hp and tq are not that much with just the cat-back.
Get to a VCA Viper Days event, local Viper get together or just an informal gathering of Vipers at the local ******* and hear the buffet of different sounds.
Personally I am a Corsa and RT hi-flow cats guy. Had that system on my 98 and just ordered the same for my new Viper.
Good luck!

JKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For a GTS don't go with a Borla, the drone is unbearable. The only time it sounds good is when you are decelerating or when the car is off.

I substituted my Borla for Corsa and am very satisfied. Next to no drone and great sounding idle.

Good luck!

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put a Random Tech "muffler delete" on my 01 GTS. Sound is much better, but not too loud. What sold me on the RT muffler delete was that you can upgrade it later to a cat-back if you want to.

Cal Cobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My Viper just got upgraded to Bellanger headers, with the 3" B&B full exhaust, and I really love it! No drone, and great sound (I love the Le Mans style sound at WOT).

Although it's definitely louder then stock, oddly it seems quiter in the cabin, as I can actually carry on a cell phone conversation in the cabin with my top on.

I was at our local Viper techs shop in SJ and heard both the Borla and Corsa.

My opinion - the Borla tries to replicate the V8 muscle car sound. The Corsa tries to replicate the Ferrari V12 type sound. The B&B gets it right, as the Viper is neither a V8 hot rod nor a Ferrari, and it lets you appreciate the V10 for the unique animal it is!

Cal :headbang:

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make sure you check out Randomtech. They are a lot less money, have a crossover pipe, look and sound great. My car was at a show yesterday and everyone including viper owners wanted to know what the exhaust system was. I also have belanger headers with no cats.
Gary

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This may sound like heresy to all those who spent a bunch of dollars for cat back exhaust systems, but unless you're going to put headers on as well, I would start by putting in 2.5" straight pipe (2x18" or so) where the big rear muffler is. It doesn't need to be stainless. Aluminized tubing works just fine and will basically last forever..(No Viper I know of sees snow and salt on a regular basis). Reuse the stock tips. The tubing will also run cooler than SS. This mod ran me $30 dollars several years ago. Took my muffler shop all of 30 minutes start to finish. Should easily be able to get it done under $100 no matter where you live. The rear muffler delete alone will give you a much improved sound. I didn't bother with any X or H pipes on my RT/10. Never noticed any drone. Could be different with a GTS. If you want more, the next thing I would do is try getting rid of the resonators or cats. I have a friend with an SRT-10 who simply eliminated his mufflers and I think it sounds as good as any cat back out there. I also think that the sound each different system produces has more to do with the muffler used than the 'assembly'. After all the pipe only fits in there one way from front to back. For example, the Belanger muffler is a 3" Walker Race Bullet. When I burned mine out last year after over 30,000 miles, I got them through my muffler guy for $45 each. Jegs had them for $42 plus shipping.

IMO, the bottom line is that all these cat back systems are heavy into the Viper tax and that you can achieve the same, or as pleasing, sound for considerably less. Start with the rear muffler delete. If I had to do it over again, I would just have my muffler guy bend it up for me... for a lot less money.

Steve

Cal Cobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score
From what I can tell the Random Tech and the B&B are almost identical except for the tips, and both have the crossover pipe (this is what eliminates the drone, and makes for a nicer sound IMO).

I tried to get the Random Tech from partsrack, but was told it was on backorder for 3 weeks or so, so I went w/the B&B. I agree the Random Tech is a much better deal, and the tips might even be nicer but I'd have to see it in person :)

We did have to make a modification on the B&B on the drivers side or the side sill wouldn't fit over the exhaust).

Cal

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc